PDA

View Full Version : Western Screech Owl at night

Roy Priest
03-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Had this owl come in to our calls. Main light was from a flashlight as I couldn't use flash because the people I was with wouldn't have agreed with using flash.
Nikon D810, 300mm, 1/125 @ F 4.0, ISO 1250, handheld.

Sandy Witvoet
03-31-2015, 04:02 PM
Mesmerizing! I love this.... feels like I'm walking a trail at night with a little flashlight. Love how the perch fades off to the lower right... this is so "walk in the woods" ... IMHO, much better than a flash. (which would likely provide a great image of a "bird on a stick"...so mundane.) Great capture!

Diane Miller
03-31-2015, 05:58 PM
Nice use of the flashlight -- not as easy as it might sound. Would be great if 2-3 people could hold them from different angles and different beam strengths (different distances, if necessary to attenuate the strength) to give some modeling to the light. Don't know if the owl would sit still that long, though.

Interesting how one pupil is more dilated.

Warren Spreng
04-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Very nice, has a nice "spooky" atmosphere about it!

Edward Arthur
04-01-2015, 06:15 PM
The eyes have it! Creepy and lovely at the same time. I might brighten the one eye a bit for balance. Nicely done!

Ákos Lumnitzer
06-03-2015, 06:43 AM
I am surprised they frown on a camera flash yet had no problem poking torches in the owl's face? I leave my comment there about that approach.

From my experience I have never seen a nocturnal animal that was not able to function normally after several shots were taken with camera flash. If one did not like the light hitting it, then they normally move away from the light.

Did you apply NR to this image? Just looks a bit smooth. That's all.
Good comp!