PDA

View Full Version : Scissor Sharp

Andre Pretorius
03-29-2015, 01:51 PM
An old frame found in the archives. One of the first images of Fred, taken in 2009, at the time I was using the Fuji S5 Pro with Nikon 500 F4 manual focus.
Here he was in his prime, with all his canines intact.
We came across his dried up remains in February this year at Craig Lockhart waterhole - so sad to see this once powerful and feared male reduced to just dried skin...
Watched him over many years with his pride, saw him getting older and weaker, plagued by arthritis; we feared every time that it was the last he awed us with his presence.
But he would not go down, the spirit inside him greater than the Kalahari sky.
This is for Fred, a "Mean Old B*****d" we got to know and love.

Techs
Fuji S5Pro with Nikon 500F4 MF
1/1150 @ f8
ISO 400

Keeping to what Steve asked- TK, DB layer, and some more adjustment layers. No actions (except for web sharpening:2eyes2:)

Rachel Hollander
03-29-2015, 06:46 PM
Hi Andre - A nice tribute to Fred. I have enjoyed the images and stories that you and Gabriela have shared of Fred. Again the pp here is really a step up with excellent detail and sharpness. I know you guys keep saying the sands of the Kalahari are red but I do think the reds on Fred are a little strong. I think I would prefer a bit more of the head to the right if you have it.

TFS,
Rachel

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Terrific image with a unique pose and composition Andre. Sure grabs the attention! Awesome detail and sharpness with clutter-free BG. Those are a huge set of teeth!

shane shacaluga
03-30-2015, 02:49 AM
Nice tribute and great set of canines (or should they be felines in this case?)

Nice DOF and good details, including the fly on the nose

I like the pink hue in this image although maybe it could be lowered slightly on the fur

TFS

Steve Kaluski
03-30-2015, 05:55 AM
Hi Andre, I like the strong diagonal angle of the head and the yawn that illustrates/belays what lies ahead when the mouth is closed. :S3:

Not sure if this is FF or not, but I keep wanting to see a bit more of the head, more image content to the right & below i.e. a lesser, tighter crop, if that makes sense??? The tongue looks about right in colour IMHO, so I doubt it's the Reds, my thinking is more the luminosity masks here Rachel, but a slight tweak on the Tint slider (a fraction less magenta) seems to work. Curious Andre, there is light on the bottom incisors and top left, but the top right is flat, masking issue, there is some ghosting around the tooth??? Nice detail overall and I like the folds of skin concertina-ring up the bridge of the nose.

Considering the date and kit, very nice Andre, imagine if the asme shot was taken with that D4 of your, oooooh. :cheers:

TFS
Steve

Dumay de Boulle
03-30-2015, 09:45 AM
Lovely detail and texture and I like the BG.
I wouldn't mind seeing more of the head if you have it.

Andre Pretorius
03-30-2015, 12:25 PM
Thank you Rachel, Sanjeev, Shane, Steve and Dumay.

I was close to Fred when the image was captured, the Fuji was DX, so the 500 ended up a 750. The ear was cut in half (no animals hurt in doing this:tinysmile_shy_t:). My thinking was rather no ear, than half a ear..
I wanted the focus of this image to be on his canines, not just on the head. The clean Bg and detail on gums would augment this.
In the end I lightend with a mask the canines more, to draw the eye to the dental work first.
With the RP used colour balance layer with +1 green in HL and +2 in MT ( lesser Magenta)
Did masked Levels layer on upper left canine.
WDYT?

Andreas Liedmann
04-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Hi big Buthie
what a look of those canines of his majesty Fred , sad to hear you found his left overs .
I am fine with the overall comp and you did a real good job in post with this, compared to your last post taken with the same kit. :5.
I like both color versions , nothing wrong with the OP for me . Great detail and overall tonal range i just miss some punch , it does look somehow a bit flat to me in both versions.
Asking curious ...... have you anyhow worked on the BG ? Is this the original BG ?

TFS Andreas

Andre Pretorius
04-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Hi Andreas

Thanks for commenting.No channel blending or any actions.
No Buthi, did not work on BG, only TK basics...-what's wrong?:2eyes2:
Maybe do RP as you see it with more punch, please..

Andreas Liedmann
04-01-2015, 12:23 PM
Hi Andre ......... nothing wrong with the BG , just got the idea you have manipulated the BG with some D&B , cause your lovely Gab did that too with one of her recent postings :bg3:. If the BG is as shot ..... i am ok.

I went a bit overboard with the punch , can be toned down easily with a click of a button :S3:.

Cheers your Buthi from the North :wave:

Morkel Erasmus
04-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Nice profile here Andre - and a legend of a lion! I only saw him twice in good shape, after that as you know, deteriorated...
I like the quality you got here, shows the kit really doesn't matter, it's the monkey behind the viewfinder that needs to know his stuff :cheers:
I like the added punch of Andreas' RP but feel it's a tad too red perhaps?