PDA

View Full Version : Theme Lion Cub in Food Trance

Rachel Hollander
03-29-2015, 10:29 AM
I thought I would get in another theme image before the month is over. Remember to post your images of youngsters before the end of the month. Another from our sighting of the cubs of the Tsalala pride at Londolozi enjoying an impala kill. I liked the tongue out, the reflection in the eye and the way the light was hitting the whiskers and tongue. Cropped from above and right to remove some of the distracting foliage. I had framed tight from below in the field using the paw as the bottom edge due to other distracting grasses and foliage.

Canon 7D
300 II
1/320
f5.6
ISO 1600
beanbag from safari vehicle, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Canuel
03-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Hi Rachel,
The cub does seem to be thinking of something else while he/she enjoys the remains of this snack. I also like the hint of light on the whiskers and tongue.

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-29-2015, 10:16 PM
Hi Rachel. A very nicely composed image with good detail and accurate colour! The framing works fine, just wished the ear was in but no deal breaker.

Steve Kaluski
03-30-2015, 05:13 AM
Hi Rachel, yep the cub performed well and provided some good behavioural aspects, a feisty little fellow too.

I think my choice would have been to have used the 5D and then cropped, mainly for the IQ, as that 300 is an awesome lens and at such close quarters you would have retained a lot more. I think you could afford to add a bit more warmth to the overall image, (not saturation), looks a little flat overall. Hard to know regarding the vegetation as you had the option of shooting both sides, but seeing more of those 'extended' claws whilst holding onto the bone (if visible) and a bit more tonal detail/clarity in the tongue I feel may help bolstered the actual detail of the image. You only get a hint, but the ears bent back showed the tasty morsel was not you for grabs by anyone. I think you could loose some off the top.

But saying all that, ISO1600 7D, well done.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2015, 07:44 AM
Thanks Steve, Sanjeev and Steve, much appreciated.

Dumay de Boulle
03-30-2015, 09:47 AM
Lovely detail and muted colours. I wouldn't mind seeing less above and more below if there isn't too much distracting stuff at the bottom.

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2015, 09:55 AM
Hi Dumay -Thanks but I composed tight at the bottom in the field so no more room below. I earlier had posted another image of this cub shot with the same set up but showing more of the claws holding the meat. Steve - I did shoot some wider with the 70-200 and 5D3 to include the full cub. I'll post one of those soon.

Thanks again,
Rachel

Marc Mol
03-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Agree on some good observations & comments, looking initially at the thumbnail, it appeared that this cub had some weird skin/fur disease, upon opening I'm wondering if you used any % of Nik detail at all on the fur, ........I'm guessing you didn't but it just gave me that impression.

I do like the symmetry of the cubs fur and how it goes with an almost giraffe checkered BG, as others have said, very good for ISO1600 on the 7D Rachel. :w3
TFS

Rachel Hollander
03-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Thanks Marc, no NIK used.

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-30-2015, 01:07 PM
I love it as-is in spite of other recommendations, Rachel! Lovely detail and the eye pin sharp! I would have loved a touch more space at the right but I have an idea that foliage prevented you from doing so. Excellent shot in my books, well done! :5

Rachel Hollander
03-31-2015, 06:23 AM
Thanks Tobie :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
03-31-2015, 01:51 PM
Hello Rachel,

I am very late here, my apologies:) Saw the thumbnail late last night and was afraid to open, knowing I will look for some time, and usually take long to write a comment:) I like to take my time with the images in this forum and also spend a few minutes imagining the situation and what went through the photographer's mind at the time - lots to learn by just looking at the settings and reading the explanations provided. I must have learnt more here than watching and reading tutorials:)

Rachel, I would have known this image was yours had I found it in a book or a magazine - you have your own style and a particular thinking behind composition and presentation which I now easily recognise. Also, I have come to trust your images as being "true to nature", and knowing your ethics I refrain from suggesting you remove any elements:). Having looked at your settings I realise the light was not great and you had to push the ISO a little, 5.6 gave you sufficient DOF to ensure the facial features of this young subject are in sharp focus and some subtle PP work reveals nice detail even in the darker parts (nose, eyes and gums). I would probably liked this even more if it were "warmer" as suggested, in the same breath I gather you wanted to stick to the lighting conditions at the time you took the frame. Composition works for me (I like to get close), maybe having those ears in view might have helped with that "get off my meat" look on the cub's face, but I am sure you had good reason to crop this way.

I love the reflection in the eye and that lovely detail on the muzzle, also the paw so possessively grabbing the tasty morsel - I find your capture to be quite thought provoking. Do you sometimes wonder what this cub looks like after some months, and whether you'd recognise him/her?

Thank you Rachel, always a pleasure to view your images:S3:

Warmest regards,

haseeb badar
04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Hi Rachel , I agree with Gabriela here on your ethics and style and always enjoy your images ,lots to learn from members of this forum.

Rachel Hollander
04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Thanks Gabriela and Haseeb.