PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Dog Portrait

Dennis Behn
03-28-2015, 11:09 PM
Out shooting prairie dogs the other day and I noticed in a couple of shots how a big hole, produced an out of focus rim in front of the dog. Sooo I got as low as my tripod would allow and as close to a hole as I could get and waited. This guy showed his head... very close to full frame.

Canon 1Dx
600 f4II with 2xIII at 1200mm
1/1000sec, f11, ISO 400

Rachel Hollander
03-29-2015, 07:43 AM
Hi Dennis - this works very well. We don't get a lot of prairie dog posts so this gives some nice diversity to the forum too. Techs look good with nice dof, sharpness and details. I hope you'll post more Wildlife images.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
03-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Nice low angle with good, sharp detail. Always interesting to see how clean they stay given they live in the dirt.

Dennis Behn
03-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Rachel, thanks for your comments. I'm not too good with computers and it took me 2 years to figure out how to post a picture! Now I'm trying to figure out how to respond to people so I hope I get this right. Thanks for your nice invite to post more...

Gabriela Plesea
03-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Hello Dennis - you've got to find a way to return to Wildlife with more images:bg3:, just hit "post quick reply" for now and give us your thoughts...My thoughts are - this is one lovely capture of a Prairie Dog and well processed too - sharp where it counts, colours look natural and overall a pleasant close-up of this lovely chap! Looks like our Brand's Whistling Rat in the Kalahari:) Very cute and probably even cuter when he twitches his nose, love it, more please!!!

Wishing you a pleasant week ahead,

Dennis Behn
03-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Hello Dennis - you've got to find a way to return to Wildlife with more images:bg3:, just hit "post quick reply" for now and give us your thoughts...My thoughts are - this is one lovely capture of a Prairie Dog and well processed too - sharp where it counts, colours look natural and overall a pleasant close-up of this lovely chap! Looks like our Brand's Whistling Rat in the Kalahari:) Very cute and probably even cuter when he twitches his nose, love it, more please!!!

Wishing you a pleasant week ahead,
Gabriela, thanks so much for your kind words. Will try to post often ...

shane shacaluga
03-30-2015, 02:26 AM
This is great. Nice details and the low POV at ground level with the Prairie dog works extremely well

Agree with everyone above, post more please ;)

Thanks for sharing

Dumay de Boulle
03-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Amazing detail, that combo really produces lovely detail. Nice shooting angle and superb exposure.
Not sure if you toned down the BG brightness but the two tone above and below are really different, the line between the two is also pretty distinct

Dennis Behn
03-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Amazing detail, that combo really produces lovely detail. Nice shooting angle and superb exposure.
Not sure if you toned down the BG brightness but the two tone above and below are really different, the line between the two is also pretty distinct
Dumay, I actually did nothing to the background. The separation between the background and the sandy looking surface surrounding the animal (his hole) simply came from the low angle. I did remove a couple of dark spots on the front lip of the hole but that was about it. :)

Morkel Erasmus
04-01-2015, 05:06 PM
Nice peeping tom image here Dennis.
I would add a hint more sharpening to the little guy's face - it seems as though it was affected by some heat haze perhaps?

Dennis Behn
04-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Nice peeping tom image here Dennis.
I would add a hint more sharpening to the little guy's face - it seems as though it was affected by some heat haze perhaps?
I agree wholeheartedly on the focus. The original is extremely sharp, but my error in uploading. I'm trying to figure it all out but thanks to help from Steve Kaluski I am hoping to do better! Thanks for commenting!