PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Red-bellied Woodpecker.

Karl Egressy
03-28-2015, 08:14 PM
The weather was nice this afternoon and we took a walk on the marsh boardwalk.
Found this cooperating bird.
Thanks for looking.

Canon 7DII
Canon 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS II
ISO 400
f 7.1
1/1000 s

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-29-2015, 03:58 AM
Nice detail Karl! Not sure why you wanted to crop it so close but I would have loved to see more of this beautiful bird!

Marina Scarr
03-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Amazing portrait, Karl. Terrific details. Love the pose and the upturned feathers are a big plus here!

Karl Egressy
03-29-2015, 06:42 AM
Nice detail Karl! Not sure why you wanted to crop it so close but I would have loved to see more of this beautiful bird!
Thanks, Tobie. I was too close and clipped the tail.:w3

Shawn Zierman
03-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Very nice portrait, great pose!...this is such a skittish bird where I live, it's difficult to imagine obtaining an image like this without some type of attractant...Just zooming back a little might have been nice for a little added dof on the body of the woodpecker, and it looks like the background would still have been well controlled and provided excellent subject isolation....I'm just impressed with the eye level results with this particular species....well done sir.

Jack Breakfast
03-29-2015, 08:42 AM
Incredible details! Lovely light! Well done and bingo! This particular bird is one of those "local celebrity birds" and is VERY WELL FED by all the local photographers, and is thusly far more approachable than most of his ilk.

Grace Scalzo
03-29-2015, 08:59 AM
Nice detail and a graceful pose. I'm torn on those upturned feathers that Marina likes. My eye keeps drifting to look at them rather than remaining on the bird's face. If they were in focus, might be different.

Karl Egressy
03-29-2015, 05:18 PM
Very nice portrait, great pose!...this is such a skittish bird where I live, it's difficult to imagine obtaining an image like this without some type of attractant...Just zooming back a little might have been nice for a little added dof on the body of the woodpecker, and it looks like the background would still have been well controlled and provided excellent subject isolation....I'm just impressed with the eye level results with this particular species....well done sir.
Thanks you Shawn Sir.
I could have done a whole lot of things different. However, when I saw the tame bird, I decided to move closer and go for the head shot as the perch was not to my liking (boardwalk rail) and the head theme is on right now.:S3:
I heard about this bird a while ago but even forgot about it. I should go back with a perch.

Satish Ranadive
03-29-2015, 07:12 PM
Excellent portrait.
Superb exposure in whites and reds, beautiful look back pose, great details and very nice composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Sidharth Kodikal
03-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Terrific light and details here Karl, and the nice complementary BG. With a head this red, I always wonder why it's called red-bellied - I guess cause red-headed is already taken :)

mohammad reza shahab
03-31-2015, 06:19 PM
Amazing portrait Karl. Great pose,light and details.

Girish Prahalad
04-01-2015, 06:29 AM
wonderful bird to get up close. lovely light & head turn. IQ is excellent