PDA

View Full Version : Slow Shutter Speed Ring-billed Gull.

Daniel Cadieux
03-28-2015, 07:07 PM
This fella stood on this rock for a long period of time, and after taking a few images I thought I'd experiment with the fast-running waters of the river. Of course photographing handheld made this a challenge (especially that I had no spot to rest the lens directly onto), but leaning the lens on a tree and balancing on my knees made it possible to get at least a few sharp images among the many soft or blurry ones:t3. Thank you Mr. Gull for staying put so long!

Canon 7D + 500mm f/4 II, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/20s., f/20, ISO 200, FF.

David Smith
03-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Very Nice Daniel.. Love the blurred moving water..

Karl Egressy
03-28-2015, 08:17 PM
Good idea well executed, Daniel. I should try this next.

Sharon Hallowell
03-29-2015, 06:38 AM
Your experimenting paid off big time on this, and put an ordinary RBGull photo over the top. Very well done! Sharon

Shawn Zierman
03-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Creative...no surprise :) Everything is lovely here....especially seeing the gulls feet under the moving water...the sky reflected areas in the moving water have a perfect tone....don't know if you adjusted the highlights selectively (probably), but it looks just right. Refreshing ring billed gull image.

Grace Scalzo
03-29-2015, 09:00 AM
An uncommon photograph of a common bird. Well seen and executed, Daniel. Really a beautiful image.

Jack Breakfast
03-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Yipes almighty! Daniel! We share a love of this subject and I too am always tripodless, and I have for years been trying my hand at pictures like this. Find a smooth restful gull along the good waterways and slow that shutter speed down. I have failed and failed! My hands are not steady enough for this sort of thing. Kudos to you! As for your picture: magnificent slow-shutter water, and a sharp gull. Soft and sweet all around. As Grace said: well seen, well executed, huzzah! She didn't say "huzzah" I guess, but you get my meaning.

shane shacaluga
03-29-2015, 04:50 PM
Stunning. A great piece of work and the fact it was handheld makes it even more special

Well done exposing this properly for the whites too

TFS

Ivan Sjögren
03-30-2015, 04:04 AM
A real stunner! Great work on the exposure here Daniel. Lovely pose, light and perch. I love what the slow shutter has done to the part of the legs that are under the water.

Marina Scarr
03-30-2015, 07:36 PM
Really well executed and a thought-provoking image, Daniel!

mohammad reza shahab
03-31-2015, 06:24 PM
Great work.Excellent details and exposure.Lovely pose.

Jim Crosswell
03-31-2015, 06:49 PM
This is a stunning image Daniel! I would print this one and hang it on the wall.