PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Arash et al...

Joseph Przybyla
03-28-2015, 03:55 PM
I recently had to recover imaged from a SD disk that I had formatted. I had thought that in formatting the disk was wiped clean but that is not the case. Does capturing images, writing over the images that are there but do not show because of formatting eventually degrade the quality of images captured? Would it be good periodically to wipe the disk clean and then format?

DickLudwig
03-28-2015, 06:58 PM
If the card is performing as it should, in other does not have a problem, no degradation of the image will occur over time even after repeated formatting. I've got cards from 2004 that still work perfectly, the only problem is that they are small by today's standards.

Don Lacy
03-29-2015, 06:19 AM
When you format the card you are not really wiping it clean you are preparing it to overwrite the current information on it that is why you are able to recover your files when you accidentally format a card. Now if you had filled the card with new images the old files would have been lost.

arash_hazeghi
03-30-2015, 12:22 PM
I recently had to recover imaged from a SD disk that I had formatted. I had thought that in formatting the disk was wiped clean but that is not the case. Does capturing images, writing over the images that are there but do not show because of formatting eventually degrade the quality of images captured? Would it be good periodically to wipe the disk clean and then format?

Hi Jose,

By SD disk I think you meant an SD card?
You don't need to wipe the card or anything. It is actually better if you just format the card after downloading all the images as opposed to "erasing" it every time. When you format the card you just tell the camera that it can erase and write the data when needed. it won't wipe anything immediately.

best

Joseph Przybyla
03-30-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks everyone, I appreciated your responses.