PDA

View Full Version : artic fox

Giovanni Frescura
03-28-2015, 02:12 PM
What you think could better go out with light so remain only eyes, mouth, ears...?
Canon 7D Mark II
Canon 300 f.2,8 + xtender 1,4
iso 800
f.4
1/3200

Marc Mol
03-28-2015, 05:27 PM
Not quite working for me here Giovanni, a little to High on the High Key for mine, as your fox is simply getting lost in all that white and needing at least some definition. But I do like what your trying to attempt.:w3
I'm sure this is salvageable going back to the RAW file again.

TFS

Daniel Cadieux
03-28-2015, 05:36 PM
These guys are so cute and photogenic. I've seen images similar to this, and usually quite like the effect. I think you went a little too strong on the blacks for the eyes and nose IMO, and I would have preferred a less central composition. I'm sure you can play around with the file and come up with some really neat alternatives!

Giovanni Frescura
03-28-2015, 05:50 PM
other option ..but I think could better start again

Giovanni Frescura
03-28-2015, 05:52 PM
or this

Gabriela Plesea
03-29-2015, 03:22 PM
Hello Giovanni,

I love to see you experimenting:)

Looked at your image a couple of times today and in all honesty I am not sure how to comment on them because I do not know the subject. I am tempted to say you should back off a bit on the yellow of the eyes, but maybe this is what they look like in real life? Would love to see the RAW file or at least have some idea of your processing steps. If you aimed at a high key effect then I suppose you should go easier on the blacks of the eyes and nose? My guess is you pushed up the exposure quite a lot during processing - not sure if it is a bad or a good thing, my gut feeling says I want to see a tad more detail in the snow and not a completely white BG. I would be happy to see this in OOTB, but since you posted in Wildlife I personally feel the image should be more "true to life" , therefore more detail needed in the fur and the features of this lovely fox a tad more visible.

I do not dislike this image - I actually like the effect you achieved - just feel it belongs to OOTB rather than Wildlife, as presented.

Kindly let us have the original - I am sure we'll be able to give you better feedback and maybe some interesting RP's from the members too:w3

Kind regards,

Giovanni Frescura
03-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Hello Giovanni,

I love to see you experimenting:)

Looked at your image a couple of times today and in all honesty I am not sure how to comment on them because I do not know the subject. I am tempted to say you should back off a bit on the yellow of the eyes, but maybe this is what they look like in real life? Would love to see the RAW file or at least have some idea of your processing steps. If you aimed at a high key effect then I suppose you should go easier on the blacks of the eyes and nose? My guess is you pushed up the exposure quite a lot during processing - not sure if it is a bad or a good thing, my gut feeling says I want to see a tad more detail in the snow and not a completely white BG. I would be happy to see this in OOTB, but since you posted in Wildlife I personally feel the image should be more "true to life" , therefore more detail needed in the fur and the features of this lovely fox a tad more visible.

I do not dislike this image - I actually like the effect you achieved - just feel it belongs to OOTB rather than Wildlife, as presented.

Kindly let us have the original - I am sure we'll be able to give you better feedback and maybe some interesting RP's from the members too:w3

Kind regards,

Gabriela
I am happy to receive a your message.
I made a trip to take some shoots of this kind of foxes (are white or black) and I will post some...but I would like sometime make different photos...I like white on white and for this reason I tries to reduce subjet to the minimum ..only to give some its detail...(what means OOTB ?) I just mafde a gull on the ice with the same idea (and off course this kind of shoots can be ok for someone and bad for other people; for example the gull received in a Fiap contest in Germany by 3 different jury..1 gold medal, 1 silver medal...no accepted...but this is the destiny of this kind of shoot...)
I have no problem to send you the raw file but remeber that I decided by myself to make an exteme image...(how I can send the file?)
Gabriela for next my summer holiday I will return after many years in Hwange ! and I will go in Nata, and MagKadiKadi pan...
Ciao
Giovanni

Dumay de Boulle
03-30-2015, 10:04 AM
I love this image. I have now looked at it 3 times and nothing has changed from the first time I looked. I love the eyes and the way you have captured the eye contact. I might go with your 1st repost for personal taste but for me they all have impact.

Gabriela Plesea
03-30-2015, 12:37 PM
Hello again Giovanni,

Sorry to get back to you so late, been away the whole day. OOTB is "Out-of-the-Box" Forum, I go there quite often to look at images and from time to time I share some of my own:) It takes some imagination and out-of-the-box thinking to create those unusual images and some of them are quite striking and inspiring too.

As I said above - I do like the way you processed this image. I also believe it would make a lovely print. It has an interesting Hi-Key effect, just (to me) the eyes look very unnatural in terms of colour - therefore I wanted to see what the original looked like. I did look for photographs of the species on the Internet the other night but did not find a reliable image in terms of colours - some arctic foxes had grey, some yellow, and some even blueish eyes, which left me even more puzzled:). While it is acceptable - to a certain extent - to add warmth and a more vivid quality to images posted in this forum, I feel you might have overstepped some boundaries in terms of what we are trying to achieve here, which is a more "true" reflection of what we saw and photographed. I agree that not all images need to represent colours as they are, I also accept the possibility of you intentionally modifying/ enhancing the eyes for this special effect. I just felt this image was so appropriate for the OOTB forum, but of course I stand to be corrected.

On the same topic, I must say I like the artistic effect you achieved, and - like Dumay - my vote goes for RP no. 2:w3 - a tad more detail in the fur and now I see the fox, not just the eyes:S3:

A jpg version of the original would certainly satisfy my curiosity, will send you a PM with my email address.

Thanks again Giovanni for this post, and please remember to comment on others' images, you'll be surprised how much positive feed back you will receive:w3

Kind regards,

Giovanni Frescura
03-30-2015, 03:16 PM
Hello Gabriello
no problem
Could be I made a bit more orange the eyes but after raw conversion and right saturation I think it is no very different from the real situation..but, off course it is a my idea and I might do it too much (in white contest it ispossible) and I am happy to have your tips about
The forum help and it is its goal!
Ciao
Giovanni

Gabriela Plesea
03-30-2015, 03:49 PM
Dear Gio,

I would not call it a "goal", but the ideal image in this Forum should be as close as possible to "real life". And yes I am often guilty of failing to process in such a way myself:)

Looking at various High Key images, I found that no colour was introduced or enhanced - one mainly removes the dark shadows, the image is less dramatic but somehow quite effective despite the light tones (mostly whites and light grays).

Will get back to you when I download the file, got the email but Internet slow tonight, busy downloading and will email you tomorrow nite...

Ciao Amico, have a great evening,

Gabriela Plesea
03-31-2015, 12:25 PM
Hello Gio,

Sent you the file back (with some tweaks), see if you like it:w3

Kind regards,

haseeb badar
04-02-2015, 07:35 AM
i loved this image. your original post is the best .