PDA

View Full Version : Malachite Kingfisher

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-28-2015, 01:01 PM
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=150764&d=1427565938

Attachment not loaded due to a server error so I had to upload it seperately. Wish I had a way of deleting and restarting it because now it will not produce a thumbnail.

Anyway - there I was, minding my own business in a bird hide at our local botanical gardens when this beauty suddenly appeared out of nowhere, sat within a few metres from me and curiously tried to figure out what I was trying to do. Long enough to give me ample time to take all the shots I wanted. Certainly the highlight of my day...

Common sharpening & highlight/shadow adjustments in LR. Details enhanced just a touch using lumo masks in PS (curves).

Nikon D600
Nikon AF-S 300mm f4 ED-IF + TCE14 II
f/8 | 1/400s | 1000 ISO

John Robinson
03-28-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi Tobie
Missed this one earlier. (I often do with the ones with no thumbnail!)
Detail is spot on and I like the vegetation. Takes it away from a "bird on a stick"
A tiny bit of OOF veg in the back would make it for me but thats a wierd preference of mine- certainly no big deal.
Great stuff
john

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-29-2015, 04:10 AM
Hi Tobie
Missed this one earlier. (I often do with the ones with no thumbnail!)
Detail is spot on and I like the vegetation. Takes it away from a "bird on a stick"
A tiny bit of OOF veg in the back would make it for me but thats a wierd preference of mine- certainly no big deal.
Great stuff
john
Thanks for looking & commenting John! I also tend to miss the non-thumbnailed posts so I was a little upset when a server error caused the post to load without an attachment. So I hope not too many guys miss my post for the same reason - surely one of the milepost shots in my bird photography venture!

Unfortunately more detail in the BG was not possible - it's a dam's muddy water that makes up the BG. :S3:

Doug Brown
03-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Beautiful plumage with nice sharpness. I would have preferred a few less OOF twigs in front of the bird.

Tobie Schalkwyk
03-30-2015, 09:27 AM
Beautiful plumage with nice sharpness. I would have preferred a few less OOF twigs in front of the bird.

Thanks Doug! I was not planning to clean some of the branches up, but since we're here to have fun - I always like to see how far I can push PS' Content Aware Fill:
http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=150854&d=1427725503