PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed Duck in Flight

Grace Scalzo
03-27-2015, 07:54 PM
This will never happen again. When I get to my location I always set my exposure so that I am ready for action. Did that, then walked toward the jetty where I saw long-tails milling about in the wind and waves. All of sudden, this one took off. I just plunked my tripod down, aimed in the direction of the duck (didn't even have the camera to my eye ) and fired off a few frames. Two were sharp. Crazy, right?

1/2500, f8m iso800
Canon 1dx, 600f4 + 2.o tc

Karl Egressy
03-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Your camera and lens are well trained. Great flight image, Grace. I guess they are leaving very soon and the weather doesn't want to cooperate around here.

Marina Scarr
03-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Wow, Grace, this looks like a 3D image. Killer wing position and light. Love the hint of wave in the lower left.

Jim Crosswell
03-27-2015, 08:31 PM
I like the sharpness, wing position, wave, exposure and composition. Sounds like your shooting has become instinctive!

David Salem
03-27-2015, 11:48 PM
It sure is good to be lucky, or I think it should be the other way around :) What a great looking grab shot Grace. Having your exposure pre-set was smart and it looks like you nailed it perfectly. Looks like it's really cooking across the water. Love the comp too.
Is this an immature drake or a hen? Well done

Richard Flack
03-28-2015, 01:57 AM
Wow Grace, what a superb shot! Beautifully exposed and awesome setting. well done!

Satish Ranadive
03-28-2015, 04:06 AM
Gorgeous image. Superb flight pose with fully raised wings, great details, beautiful droplets and composition.
Love the cool colors in the frame.

Regards,
Satish.

Jonathan Ashton
03-28-2015, 04:29 AM
Grace this is excellent, the plumage detail is outstanding.

Girish Prahalad
03-28-2015, 06:28 AM
outstanding result for the way you shot it. great exp , IQ, wing position & colors

gail bisson
03-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Love the grab shot! On the fly got you a bird on the fly!!
Out LTD's are quite brown and this one looks quite black. Interesting...
Perfect wing position and great IQ.
Well done,
Gail

Grace Scalzo
03-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Thanks Everyone. David, my best guess is that this is a hen. There is alot of variety in the non-breeding plumage of this species, and sometime hard to tell them apart. Gail, my monitor was recently calibrated and my duck looks brown to me, albeit a rather dark brown. Wonder what you are seeing?