PDA

View Full Version : Goldeneye along the hibernal waterways

Jack Breakfast
03-27-2015, 10:07 AM
Greetings! I am addicted to the taking of winterduck pictures in the beautiful sunless low-light, but so doing will sometimes make the colors of my ducks go wonky. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about! Especially if you're familiar with this species, I would welcome your opinions RE her color balance. Of course I'd love to hear from you RE anything else too. I sincerely appreciate your time and trouble! This picture was taken with the Canon 7D and 100-400 at 400mm. iso1600, 1/1250, f5.6. I was switching between iso800 and 1600, but for the most part wanted my shutter speed up so as to catch the duck mid-dive, although in my experience 1/1250 doesn't cut it anyhow.

The alar's mysteries will unravel but can never be solved: http://www.smallbirdsongs.com

Jonathan Ashton
03-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Looks very nice to me, I attach a version for your consideration, I just went to Levels, clicked the white balance on her wing tip and brought the blacks a tad to the right and applied a small amount of sharpening.

Jack Breakfast
03-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Very nice, Jonathan! My sincere thanks for your corrections and also for the lesson. I am only just beginning to find enjoyment in the art of "simple but effective processing" - for a few years I found post-processing to be a chore, albeit an essential one. As I continue to learn more, things become more pleasurable. As is the way with everything in life!

Jack Breakfast
03-27-2015, 01:23 PM
Uh-oh! I just realized now that there's a bad mess along the bottom ice, the result of some very sloppy burning work! How did I miss this? I don't have time to fix it now, but please excuse my badness! I was making circles, for some reason??

William Dickson
03-27-2015, 02:22 PM
I like this image Jack and I think Jon's version makes it that wee bit better. I like the birds movement through the icy water. The reflection adds to the image. Thanks for sharing

Jonathan Ashton
03-27-2015, 05:40 PM
Jack the burning looks messy to you because you did it! I bet most people did not notice it.

Jack Breakfast
03-28-2015, 03:46 PM
Much appreciated, John. Truly I don't know what I got up to, making weird circles like that. But anyhow I just now learned about the Tim Grey dodge and burn, and I am a convert! ALSO, if anyone is interested, I did post this picture in its unaltered version on the "Eager to Learn" forum so that I might brush up on my basic object-removal skills. Different ways of achieving the same thing, etc.