PDA

View Full Version : Chichen Itza Native

Dvir Barkay
03-26-2015, 12:09 AM

One of the locals. (wondering if the little rock that is whitish and is right under the pyramid, if it is bothersome to anyone?) and wide angles do funny things with perspective, the Iguana is about at max 2 meters from me. Also debating getting a polarizer for the tokina, in a shot like this it would have really helped toning down the bright light, but might have made some funny things with the sky being so wide, so not sure of the pros and cons with this one.

Sony A700, Tokina 11-16, F/11, 2015, Chichen Itza in Mexico

Diane Miller
03-26-2015, 11:23 PM
Nice catch, and quite different! I'd play with a little more saturation, but hold back the blues. Would also darken the grass, with a gradient. For me, the white rock would be gone.

Using a polarizer with a lens that wide will give you a major gradient across the sky in the blues. For everything except quenching reflections, you can get the same effect in processing. It wouldn't tone down the bright light, but rather make the light clouds even lighter relative to the darkened sky.

Morkel Erasmus
03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Love this! The little guy in front really takes this to another level.
I personally would have used a polariser here, I've found that it does do something to the bright/harsher exposed areas (whether it makes technical sense or not) when I was shooting from the underground hide in Etosha. The shots I took with the polariser (against a cloudless sky) just look better in terms of tonal detail than the shots taken without the polariser in similar light/angles.

Diane Miller
03-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Here's a digital polarizer for those times you didn't use one, or couldn't (wide angles). I've been amazed at the results I could achieve with these simple steps. A polarizer will help cut through haze and possibly also the dust Morkel refers to, but that can be mitigated a lot in processing too.

http://www.adorama.com/alc/0011794/article/How-to-fake-a-glass-polarizer-filter-effect-digitally

(http://www.adorama.com/alc/0011794/article/How-to-fake-a-glass-polarizer-filter-effect-digitally)

Dvir Barkay
03-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Thanks Diane, I am sure that would really help the sky, though I think that the bright areas on the pyramid would need the actual reflective properties of a polarizer to tone down. I do have a polarizing filter for my 16-50/2.8 and 70-300 so I often use them, just not for my wide angle.

Andrew McLachlan
03-27-2015, 08:41 PM
Hi Dvir, the Iguana really adds to this image. I would also have most likely used my polarizer too, especially for the foreground.

Don Lacy
03-30-2015, 10:05 PM
The Iguana really anchors the image along with the log I think a polarizer would have cut the glare of the rocks

Dvir Barkay
03-30-2015, 11:20 PM
a newer version