PDA

View Full Version : Long-Eared Owl in A Strange Sweetpocket

Jack Breakfast
03-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Ah hello! I was unwilling to cause undue disturbance to this low-perching beast, who clearly wanted to sleep. His eye was briefly opened by a gang of joggers in their jogging costumes. This was one of the very few openings provided by the surrounding trees, and of course I am always delighted to find ANY bird in what I fancifully call a sweetpocket.

This picture was taken with the Canon 7D and 100-400 at 400mm. iso640, 1/1600, f7.1

Many thanks for your time! Good greetings to one and all

See "the blog" >> http://smallbirdsongs.wordpress.com

David Salem
03-24-2015, 10:38 PM
Nice that you caught this guy with his eyes open and it's ears up. Like you said it is a sweet pocket that you found it sitting in just wish the white was not in the background. It's a pretty busy foreground also but good job getting it in the open at all.

Diane Miller
03-24-2015, 11:21 PM
Good to be able to frame this guy. Looks like he finds the joggers annoying. Probably the taste in clothing.

An alternative version would be to crop from the top about halfway to the ears, which would remove some of the cloud.

Jack Breakfast
03-25-2015, 07:43 AM
I too would have preferred an all-blue background. The blue is snow in heavy shadow and the white is blown-out snow. I am willing to reveal this secret only because it's not terribly exciting anyhow! When presented with an owl in a sweetpocket, I must take what I'm given, which doesn't always make for great photography, that's for sure, but there's enough here to interest me.