PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

Troy Lim
03-24-2015, 12:10 AM
http://troylimphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/TLP0323-copy.jpg

It is good to be back, it is great to be out there holding a camera once again. After 10 months break, I went out this evening to capture some images of the nesting Eastern Screen Owls. I went out without any expectations, just hoping to get some decent images and some practice. It was just like riding a bike once again.
During this delivery, the male Eastern Screech Owl flew in out of nowhere, different than the usual routine where he would perch for several seconds before delivering the catch into the cavity. The subsequent frames showed that it was carrying a caterpillar. In another week, the female will join in hunting and taking turn to feed the owlets. I hope to be able to be back again when the babies are old enough to be peeking through the nest cavity.
Shot taken with 7D Mark2, with its crop factor, I was able to shoot with a shorter zoom lens. The AF system continues to impress me with its ability to focus in the low light condition.

gail bisson
03-24-2015, 03:33 AM
Nice to see you back in the saddle again!
Great inflight shot. I am not sure about the branch coming up from the bottom of the frame and might be tempted to clone it out.
I see some "lines " in the black BG in front of the owl. ? OOF branches? I would definitely clean those up.
I like the way you have cropped the tree on the LHS. The green adds some nice color to the monochromatic feel of the image.
Can you share your EXIF data? What kind of flash setup did you have? Enquiring minds want to know:-)

Troy Lim
03-24-2015, 09:05 AM
Nice to see you back in the saddle again!
Great inflight shot. I am not sure about the branch coming up from the bottom of the frame and might be tempted to clone it out.
I see some "lines " in the black BG in front of the owl. ? OOF branches? I would definitely clean those up.
I like the way you have cropped the tree on the LHS. The green adds some nice color to the monochromatic feel of the image.
Can you share your EXIF data? What kind of flash setup did you have? Enquiring minds want to know:-)

Gail,
That was a great idea, being away for 10 months is a long time, I forgot that I could clone out the branch.
Yes the OOF in the BG is the plant behind the bird, I need to angle my light better so it would not show at all.
Sorry, 1/250, f/14, ISO1600, two flashes set at reduced output of 1/32.

Marina Scarr
03-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Great look at this male. We don't see them as often as the females. IT's nice that we can see the cavity and see him looking at the cavity. The branches in the BG don't bother me and give us a sense of place. Agree however on moving the perch for next time.

David Salem
03-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Beautiful looking incoming shot Troy. Looks like the flash coverd him well and I really like seeing the nest cavity. I agree about evicting the branch below but I do like the it branches in the background. Good to see you back keep them coming