PDA

View Full Version : Tripod, Backpack and accessories for 600f4?

shane shacaluga
03-22-2015, 05:25 PM
I finally bit the bullet and ordered myself and Nikkor 600f4 which should arrive in about a week. Any recommendations for a good value for money tripod and head? What should i be looking for?

Also I read that the lens foot should be replaced on this lens. What options would you go for it that was the case?

I was also wondering what backpacks you guys use to carry these large lenses both into the field and/or when travelling on a plane?

The Lowepro AW 600 looks but is there any other options you recommend?

Thanks

Diane Miller
03-23-2015, 11:43 AM
I find a gimbal head to be indispensable for a lens that size. A stronger person might use one with a side-mounting plate, but I find one similar to the Wimberley II (which I use) to be easier to mount/dismount and it feels safer, as the weight rests on a horizontal plate rather than being held by a vertical one.

shane shacaluga
03-23-2015, 12:07 PM
Thanks Diane. I will definitely go with a gimbal head for tripod work.

I am always on the move when taking pictures and still young so was thinking of also getting a RRS MH-01 tilthead for my monopod and carry the lens over my shoulder. I trecked the Andes with over 20kgs on my back so the lens for a few hours should be fine (i guess)

Are replacement lens feet a must? Everyone seems to change theirs.

Diane Miller
03-23-2015, 12:26 PM
Ahhhhh -- I wish my power-to-weight ratio was still what it used to be! My big tripod is a several-year-old Gitzo Systematic with roundish rubber feet. I never changed them, but some years ago did put spike feet on an older tripod. Guess it could help on soft ground but maybe be a hindrance on hard surfaces.

Steve Kaluski
03-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Hi Shane if weight/space is of a premium in your bag when hiking, then the Uniq ball head (large) may be another option for a tripod head to hold a 600/800 lens. I've had mine for the last year and it's been great when travelling long haul, Africa, Canada, Caribbean, Arctic as I tend now to use the Wimberley for more local work.

I'm in a similar position re backpacks, but still cannot find one that can carry my gear when travelling that my current one does and has never been weighed, touch wood, sadly they no longer make it. Depending on your budget, but have you looked at f-stop. Sadly it's too narrow for my kit, but may work for your set-up, however make sure you check the internal dimensions of the ICU fitting guide.

I also think, not going for a bag that doesn't look like a photographic bag, also helps. :bg3:

shane shacaluga
03-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I will look into that ball-head and see if I can get that brands around here. I managed to order a Lowepro 600 bag from the shop i bought the lens so currently sorted in that regard at least for hiking. I will see if the 600 fits in my rigid handlugguage suitcase and use that for travelling :) It wont look too photographic and has wheels haha

Steve Kaluski
03-24-2015, 02:01 AM
Just make sure Shane it fits Cabin baggage dimensions, as you don't want to put your lens into the 'hold' when travelling!!!!