PDA

View Full Version : Common Redstart

Rich Steel
05-29-2008, 03:44 AM
Hi

This is a follow-on from my last post. The mini feeding station I have set-up for redstart is starting to produce some results with both male and female birds regularly visiting to collect food for the nest. I took a visit upthe other day to fill the feeders and stopped a hort while to get a few photos. The male is a real exposure nightmare with his brilliant white cap.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/squidfish_2006/redstart44.jpg

Taken with 1Dmk3 and 500mm lens at ISO 400 F5.6 -1.33EV at 1/125s.

Cheers

Rich

Maxis Gamez
05-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi Rich,

Very nice details and pose. I think fill flash would of helped the dark areas, especially in the head. I'm glad your set up is working for you, perhaps you can post a picture of it??

Alfred Forns
05-29-2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Rich, Not sure about the light angle for this one. The head/neck area are dark but there is lots of light on the bird. Since its a set up you should be able to control the light and setting up a flash or two would be great.

Might remove part of the lower perch to make bird larger in frame. I like the pose and sharpness very much. Must be a treat having them around !!!! Looking forward to many more !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
05-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Pretty bird and good details. Adding to the other comments, you could decrease the contrast a bit or apply S/H to get more details in the blacks. Fill flash would probably help in this light.

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Very striking pose and I agree with the above comments. Look forward to seeing more of this species. They are difficult to photograph but well worth all the effort. Thanks for sharing.

Rich Steel
05-30-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I have been back up to the feeding station since this photo and in better light than one that visit. Next time I go up I will take a wide lens and take a photo of the set up.

Cheers

Rich

Maxis Gamez
05-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Thanks Rich!

Let us know!