PDA

View Full Version : Longtail along the icy waterways, with a problem

Jack Breakfast
03-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Canon 7D, 100-400 at 400mm. iso640, 1/4000, f8.

Between you and me, when it comes to longtails, I prefer the understated and elegant hen, but anyhow here is a snappy look at one of the flamboyant drakes, seen easily in one of the good local waterpockets.
P.S. Advice to longtail photographers: move the camera up, or zoom out, so as to get a COMPLETE AND UNBROKEN ARC OF WATERDOTS. I failed royally but of course I'll keep trying, etc.
P.P.S. This is the full-frame picture. Sometimes I remove the white patch from the bottom, but usually I like it as-is. Of course I'll welcome your thoughts and opinions!

Walker Noe
03-20-2015, 12:11 PM
Great view of a sweet duck!

TFS
Walker

William Dickson
03-20-2015, 03:07 PM
Very nice looking image Jack. Nice details and movement on the duck. Great POV and pose. I like the water movement in front, it adds a lot to the image. Lovely BG. Overall a very nice image indeed. Well done

Karl Egressy
03-20-2015, 08:11 PM
Nice image, showing the long tail and the ice and blue water are compliment the bird.

Jack Breakfast
03-21-2015, 09:54 AM
Thank you for your time, all. I certainly appreciate your comments.

Jack Breakfast
03-21-2015, 11:34 PM
Although I do wonder if any of the longtail photographers among you have experienced a similar frustration with the broken water arc? Something about the flick of his incredible tail, and up goes that arc of water beads! My longtail days are over, probably, until next winter, but in the meanwhile I can come up with some effective strategies, etc.