PDA

View Full Version : One of the Locals

Steve Canuel
03-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Thought the forum needed a little splash of color to break up all the hot, dusty habitats :bg3:. Caught this buck passing through this meadow on an overcast, late Spring afternoon. He paused just long enough to get this one shot before heading off into the woods in the BG. 5DMK2, 700mm, f6.3, 1/1000s, ISO 800, HH, cropped to around 14mp, processed in DPP and PSE 10.

christopher galeski
03-20-2015, 05:40 AM
nice capture Steve,nice light,sharp with nice details.

Rachel Hollander
03-20-2015, 05:45 PM
Hi Steve - The rich colors work really well and you have nice separation of the deer. Good look to camera and detail. Maybe just a little tight at the bottom for the virtual legs but not a deal breaker. Nice one.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
03-20-2015, 05:51 PM
So good to be reminded of spring, and lovely greens! Nice alert pose and beautiful velvet!

haseeb badar
03-21-2015, 01:31 AM
Hello Steve ! This is a very nice image , Sharpness is spot on and so as the colors, I initially felt that the green is a bit saturated and I even tried to reduce the greens in LR but your version looks perfect !

Morkel Erasmus
03-21-2015, 01:38 AM
Love the soft light and deep colours here Steve. Nice pose too...

Steve Kaluski
03-21-2015, 05:58 AM
Hi Steve, I like the way you caught this 'Bucks' curiosity and the way the bush has been caught over the under belly. Nice highlights in the eyes, that velvet covered antlers and the outstretched back leg, nice detail & form there. Although I'm still using the laptop, I would agree with Haseeb about the Greens, but I think you'll get a better adjustment with Selective colour in the Greens and drop the Cyan & up the Yellow, % figures to taste. As an alternative, going more 'pano' and cropping at the base of the dark tree may also work, but you may feel it's then too tight.

TFS
Steve

Marc Mol
03-22-2015, 04:17 AM
Love the overall colour and pose here with good eye contact Steve.

TFS

Steve Canuel
03-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Thanks to all for the look. I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Andreas Liedmann
03-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Hi Steve thanks for the grassy break , love the overall rich colors and overall tones . Nice detail in the subject and the framing works for me . The dark trees are a bit distracting , but not much you can do about it.

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
03-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Hello Steve,

Indeed lovely capture and your subject is so beautiful, love the pose there and those eyes...

Kind of glamorous - isn't he, with those long lashes and velvety antlers?

I like the lush vegetation that surrounds the deer but tempted to ask you to consider a more pano crop that excludes the tree trunk...You've processed this very well and some really nice textures and colours coming through, nice 3D feel to this image, I personally like the vivid colours here and the sharpness is spot-on, enjoyed viewing Steve, very much:)

Kind regards,

Steve Canuel
03-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks Andreas and Gabriela for you thoughts on the image. I liked the contrast between the brighter grass and the darker forest so I framed it with the trees at the top as a hint of where the deer was headed. I've included the original frame as maybe it better shows what I was thinking.

D. Robert Franz
03-24-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm a sucker for mule deer one of my favorite subjects.. I like the uncropped version best I think. Great colors and detail. Good composition as well

Steve Canuel
03-24-2015, 10:51 PM
I'm a sucker for mule deer one of my favorite subjects.. I like the uncropped version best I think. Great colors and detail. Good composition as well

One of my favorites as well Dale and a common companion during my hikes. Maybe I like them because they enjoy the same habitat I do :bg3:. Thanks for the comment.