PDA

View Full Version : Red-necked Stint, the smallest migratory wader to visit Australia

Ian Wilson
03-19-2015, 08:00 PM
I recently posted images of the world's largest migratory wader and the wader with the longest non-stop flight. The Red-necked Stint is the smallest migratory wader to visit Australia and performs one of the most amazing migrations of all. It is tiny, about 30 grams weight, and breeds 10,000 km away in E Siberia! The bird in the frame was captured at the Hunter River estuary on 2 March and is just starting to show some breeding plumage which will be well developed by the time of departure for Siberia in April.

Canon 5DIII + 600 mm f/4L II + 1.4x III extender, hand-held.
Manual, spot metering, spot AF, f/7.1, 1/800 sec, ISO 800.
Processed with DPP4 and PS Elements with Neat Image NR.

Thanks for looking, critical feedback welcome and appreciated.
Regards,
Ian

Jack Breakfast
03-20-2015, 10:52 AM
Hi Ian, the bird looks good, and I do enjoy the water colours and textures. I am distracted by the horizontal line running the length of the picture and intersecting the bird. You could remove it, if you were willing. So doing would greatly improve the photograph, I feel.

William Dickson
03-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi Ian

Very lovely. Great details on the bird. I dont mind the line running along the image. It shows what it is, a natural looking small wave/ripple. The colour of the line blends well with the image, especially the reflection. Lovely POV and nice HA. Well done.

Will

Ian Wilson
03-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Thanks Jack and William for taking the time to give feedback on this image - much appreciated. Regards, Ian