PDA

View Full Version : We missed you, Dad!

Andre Pretorius
03-17-2015, 03:54 PM
Charlie-Ash from the Rooiputs pride has been away for a couple of days. We followed him as he left, he was a man on a mission! We lost him after a few kilometres walking south
as he disappeared over a dune. He was spotted the following morning about 10km south, in the company of two pretty females....

Meantime, the Rooiputs lion pride was with us daily - they killed an Eland every night just down the road at the waterhole, then spent the day lazing around
or making a circus in our campsite. The youngsters were big enough to be dangerous, but oh - so - curious: "...are those solar panels, that orange gas pipe - what does is taste like?"
They were quite a handful, but very entertaining at times...

One day around mid-morning, dad Charlie decides to come home. We spotted him before the youngsters did and drove to where they were lying, then waited with anticipation.

Tough guys don't show emotion... Charlie stops at some distance seemingly indifferent as the cubs sprint towards him, he is rather irritated by their attentions but they don't care, they just love him, they so missed him!

One teenager is late to greet him and I have no idea where he had been all this time. As you can see in the last image, he only has eyes for dad as he rushes towards him - his siblings see his running as a game.

Images captured in 2012, the year of the Eland.

Andreas Liedmann
03-18-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi Andre a very nice story and sequence ........ love it .I think i can almost here the noise they make when it comes to such situation .
You have done a great job in capture, i love the room you have around the subjects .

A technical thing ....... you have slight color variations in some frames :w3, but this a minor thing in this sequence from my POV.

Very nice job all around .

Cheers and TFS your Buthi

Gabriela Plesea
03-18-2015, 02:24 PM
One of my favourite sightings ever - thank you, Andre!

All of us - including our friend Allan who accompanied us on this trip - fell in love with the Rooiputs lion clan. They were in our face every day, either in the camp or just a kilometre or so below by the water hole. Our morning "sessions" consisted of two minutes' drive from the tent to the water hole, then few hours in the company of lions, an hour break to download back at the camp, and then back to the water hole. It was awesome! At times we had to chase the youngsters from the camp, for they were incredibly naughty. Dad Charlie-Ash and Mom often just settled in the shade nearby, keeping a watchful eye - they never bothered us and even when they walked through our A-frame they never caused any damage - after all, they were used to people.

We shall never forget the night Charlie Ash walked right past our tent and gave a deep roar, it was probably the closest we have ever been to a wild lion and the sound was just unbelievable...Only the canvas of the tent separated us and the window was slightly open. I hardly slept that night with all the excitement, the first thing I did in the morning was to check his footprints around the tent and wonder at the size of his paws...

A very special moment from an incredible trip to the Kalahari, enjoyed viewing - thank you again:5

Rachel Hollander
03-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Hi Andre - You have brought us right there with you for the reunion between Dad and Cubs. It must have been amazing to witness. It sounds like you and Gabriela were spoiled with lion sightings on that trip. No wonder you both love the Kalahari.

TFS,
Rachel