PDA

View Full Version : Southern Carmine Bee-eater with catch

Stu Bowie
03-16-2015, 10:48 PM
Ive just returned from a 5 day trip in our Kruger National Park. On one of the mornings, I stopped along the road to capture these Bee-eaters on a take off shot going for their next meal. You cannot judge in which direction these quick flyers will take off, so when I saw this on my screen, I was pretty happy, as his catch is clearly in focus too. It was very overcast, and with all the action, my settings were all over the place. I do have more images of these colourful Bee-eaters in much better light, and against a foliage BG. Ive lightened what I could see of the eye, and removed two branches coming in to the bottom of the frame.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8
1/4000
F/6.3
ISO 800

Exp comp +1
Hand held from the car.

Arthur Morris
03-16-2015, 11:56 PM
Love the flight posture, the flying bug, and the great looking colors in low light. It looks as if it could stand a more substantial crop to put more emphasis on the subject.

Ian Wilson
03-17-2015, 04:54 AM
A novel angle, that's for sure. I would like to see more and wonder about the WB - looks a touch towards the magenta on my monitor. Regards, Ian.

gail bisson
03-17-2015, 04:57 AM
Hi Stuart,
I like the take-off pose and the bug but feel the bee-eater is too small in the frame. I would crop in much more tightly to show off the bird,
Gail

Ivan Sjögren
03-17-2015, 05:03 AM
Wonderful action in great sharpness. Nice wing position and colors. I also recommend a tighter crop.

Katie Rupp
03-17-2015, 11:13 AM
Really great detail in that bug and great sense of action in the Bee-eater's pose. I like this very much and agree that a smaller crop would enhance the image.

Stu Bowie
03-17-2015, 11:26 AM
Thanks a stack for the feedback everyone. Ive tried a tighter crop, but I wasnt happy with the IQ.

Karl Egressy
03-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Excellent action shot with the bug, Stuart. Yes, tighter crop would work as well.

David Salem
03-20-2015, 12:16 AM
Too bad the IQ wouldn't hold up to a tighter crop because that's what is needed. Great job catching the action and I like seeing the spotted beetle well but the bird merging with the branch it Isn't ideal. Good shot Stuart