PDA

View Full Version : Kea

Anthony Johnson
03-14-2015, 07:18 PM
This is a shot of a Kea (Nestor notabilis), the world's only alpine parrot in its natural habitat, the parking lot of the General Store in Arthur's Pass, New Zealand.
Pentax K-3 with DA*300mm lens. 1/320sec at f/8, 160 ISO.

Richard Flack
03-15-2015, 02:16 AM
Very cool bird. Love the colours on his back and nice pose. Given the parking lot background, it may have been nice to try and get a low angle shot with a better BG in place (but dont know if that was possible). Thanks for sharing

Karl Egressy
03-15-2015, 07:02 AM
Sorry, I clicked on your name by accident. Love the pose, details and the layered feathers.

Daniel Cadieux
03-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Pretty neat bird with cool colours and feather patterns. Well exposed, good details, perfect head angle. The raised foot adds interest. Did you need to lighten some areas of the face? With the pavement "habitat" I agree getting lower would have been great but I do realize doing so may have introduced nearby parked cars or other unwanted elements. Going for tight head portraits, if the subject is cooperative, is another way to make the background nicely blurred. Still a fun opportunity and I'm sure it was a hoot photographing this fella from a parking lot!:S3:

Gerald Kelberg
03-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Nice to see this old acquaintance making an entrance on these pages - I spent many happy days of my youth in Arthurs Pass area. Shame you didn't get him with his natural prey - windscreen wiper blades! :S3:

Great to see the feather details and the colours. Did you manage to get any shots with a raised wing?

Regards,

Gerald