PDA

View Full Version : Catch me if you can

Andreas Liedmann
03-13-2015, 03:19 PM
Hi all , i post again an image if this gorgeous Antelope .
This time it is not the light and the statue like beauty that grabbed me , it is the pure action and dynamic that got me with this shot . As this species is somehow aggressive amongst them and also against other species i always expect some action when some of them are around , specially at a waterhole .
This shot was taken far north in the KTP at Kannaguas WH if i remember correctly .Some of the Gemsbok gathered at the waterhole and they have been in the mood for some chasing .
It was already very hot and very harsh light at the time of shooting and no shade to park the car .

Canon EOS 1Dx
EF 200 - 400 IS L with TC engaged
Window bracket and fluid head

F 9 ; Iso 800 ; 1/1000 sec

Processed with DPP 4 and PS CC , cropped for comp to 60 % of FF .

Thanks for looking and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-14-2015, 01:41 AM
Great action and excellent techs and exposure. Very nicely processed as well Andreas. I like the placement of the boks in the frame and the dust trail & those V shaped horns add so much interest.

Rachel Hollander
03-14-2015, 10:46 AM
Hi Andreas - I like this one very much. You handled the harsh light well. The placement in the frame is great and the kicked up sand trail adds to the whole scene. Well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Gabriela Plesea
03-14-2015, 01:15 PM
Hello Andreas,

The comp here really works, very dynamic scene and I love the trail of dust! I know how harsh the light can be in the Kalahari and I think you have done very well under the conditions, viewing this image I can almost feel the heat and see that "liquid air". A very pleasing image well presented and it brought back memories of our trip together - thank you Andreas:5

Have a great evening,

Morkel Erasmus
03-15-2015, 06:17 AM
Light handled well indeed, as per usual.
You placed them expertly in the frame, herr Liedmann!

Andre Pretorius
03-15-2015, 06:17 AM
Hi Andreas

Love the movement conveyed with the turn in the chase.

Comp works for me.

Got any with Gemsie and Wildebeest fighting?

Eric Dienesch
03-15-2015, 06:20 AM
Great Action, you have captured here.
I like it !!!

Steve Kaluski
03-16-2015, 07:46 AM
Hi Andreas, cool position in frame.

I like the way it leads, again using the plumes of dust, the animals stance,/swish of the tail. The environment colours helps to give 'pop' to the subjects. Format crop works, wonder if the 500 with 1.4x might have been a better choice to avoid cropping??? Techs look good.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
03-16-2015, 12:22 PM
Thanks to all of you who found time to write a comment or just watched this image :wave: much appreciated .

[QUOTE=Steve Kaluski;1055358) wonder if the 500 with 1.4x might have been a better choice to avoid cropping??Steve[/QUOTE]

YeaH Steve you could be right , but under the given circumstances , i was working with the 200 - 400 on the 1Dx most of the time , so swopping lenses was not an option . I could have used the other combo 1D MK IV / 500 + 1,4TC , but it was a big "drama" to swop in the tightness of my car . So mostly i stayed with one combo , and took the options the combo offered me .
So sometimes i was going in to tight because that , other times not tight enough for the same reason :w3. So all the time there is somehow a price to pay . And with all honesty i guess a cropped image from the 1Dx is better than a full image from the MK IV /old 500 + 1,4 TC . Now i might see that different due to my new toy !!!!

Thanks again , Andreas

Steve Kaluski
03-16-2015, 12:41 PM
It's always a dilemma Andreas at the best of times, but having the additional crop factor element too added into the mix isn't helpful, as you are constantly thrown then into which lens to use. :Whoa!:

Agree, cropping the 1DX files is certainly better than the MKIV. :S3:

Andreas Liedmann
03-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Other option would be have two 1Dx bodies ........ but i just have one :e3, and before i am able to get a second one , i guess a 1Dx II is in the pipeline

Steve Kaluski
03-16-2015, 01:19 PM
Indeed, but like the 7D what's the timeline? I made the jump a while back, makes my life easier, especially on batteries:bg3: I think?

Andreas Liedmann
03-16-2015, 01:43 PM
I am going off topic now and stop this , but just want to tell you , i am close to get the new ( 1st april ) EIZO CG 318 4k screen instead of a second 1Dx , at least i seriously think about. Just for one reason , i spend a lot more time in front of the screen than behind a second 1Dx .As money is not endless i have to make decisions .
But you are right who knows when this will come with the 1Dx II