PDA

View Full Version : Scarlet Morning #2

Don Lacy
03-12-2015, 12:26 PM
This image has been sitting on my screen for over a week i have stepped away from it numerous times I have deleted it and started completely over at least three times and still not sure if I have made the right processing decisions. First off it's a three image hand blend using luminosity mask that I am still learning how to do properly that took days to get right. Then I wasn't happy with the tonal balance and color balance so this morning I just said to **** with it it is what it is right now lets just post it and see how it is excepted. I have been doing a lot of research and watching tutorials on PS processing wanting to take my images to the next level and which is often the case when you learn something new I want to throw every trick and technique I learn into every image so now I have to find the balance between over processing and my artistic vision. Another issue I am having with my last two images are the technical and artistic aspects of capturing one of the most amazing skies I have ever photograph there was over nine stops between the foreground and sun plus the rest of the sky fell somewhere in the middle thus the need for a three image blend. So here it is it was an amazing morning and I hope this image captures some of it as always you thoughts and critics will be greatly appreactied
Canon 6D, 16-35 f/4 IS, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered, tripod,

Jackie Schuknecht
03-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Well I think it is beautiful! I love the colours and those craggy rocks in the fg. The clouds on the diagonal add to the left to right flow in the image. Just wonder if you are getting a halo from CA on the rock on the top left. Quite stunning!

Don Lacy
03-12-2015, 05:14 PM
Thanks Jackie, The halo is from the contrast between the the dark rock and white water not sure how to get rid of it I have masked out the sharpening layer along the rocks edge already, I might need to go back to the original and check the adjustment layers to see if I can reduce it through masking.

Diane Miller
03-12-2015, 10:31 PM
I think it's just stunning! My only thought for tinkering further would be a subtle gradient burn at the bottom and maybe a little more midtone punch in the sky -- but thoughts like that can go on forever, as you know.

Don Railton
03-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Hi Don

This is quite wonderful, like most of your images... strong anchor and good placement of the sun IMHO. I like to hear that others struggle with processing and interpretation sometimes. It helps justify my own processing dilemma's !

The halo has been noted. There is also a small black dot in the sky to the LHS and above the whiteish cloud. Its small but I think you will remove it if you decide to print it. I agree with Diane about the mid tone boost, and i think the rocks with the water flow across them mid frame RHS could also do with a small boost...

regards

DON

Steve Smith
03-13-2015, 02:02 AM
That is a wonderful image. I think trying to make it better might be like trying to make Hercules stronger - what's the point?

Steve Smith

Dvir Barkay
03-13-2015, 01:18 PM
very nice Don, it is for the most part well done. I agree t hat it needs more contrast as it looks a little too blended right now. And there is indeed a halo around the rocks. Otherwise good job honestly.

Grady Weed
03-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Don,

Personally, I don't think it is over processed. It looks "too real" and that is from blending 3 images. All too often we photographers try to imitate what the good lord put up there for us to see and enjoy. I don't think we will ever get digital images to match perfectly what we see in real life.

It's not that your image is over done, but our eyes are used to somewhat flat looking images that we have been producing since the onset of digital cameras. Them more pixels, better software in camera came along. Then came blending via Photoshop and the game changed once more. Our eyes are being fooled into thinking we are walking into the image, it looks too real for us to think that it is an image out of a camera. The limitations of the monitors, video cards make it even worse. But this all my opinion.

I like it as is. But others may not, or see some slightly clogged pixels, or some too dark areas. But again that is all subjective. You are the one that has to be pleased. Its your wall it is headed for.

Morkel Erasmus
03-22-2015, 12:35 AM
I like the composition, colours and mood here, Don...but to me it seems too light, particularly in the highlights and midtones? I think it can look more punchy and even "realistic" if those were toned down some.
I too noted the halo around the rocks.

Grady Weed
03-22-2015, 03:37 PM
Don,

I have a suggestion here for this image. How about printing this out and putting it in a shadow box. Then put some beach sand in the bottom, then install a light at the bottom to reflect in the frame. As for the subjectivity of the tones, it can go either way for me. It is one outstanding image. TFS.

andresleon
03-22-2015, 07:06 PM
I like Grady's idea! You should print this in the nice metallic paper and have the light reflect from the back .It would look truly spectacular! But get rid of that little dusty bunny on the center first! ;)

Fantastic image, Don!

Andrew McLachlan
03-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Beautiful work Don. I agree with Morkel in that it may need to have the brightness toned down ever so slightly. I admire your patience and the outcome with the hand blending of the three images!!!

Don Lacy
03-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments I think this one is destine for an aluminum print .