PDA

View Full Version : Theme: Buller's Mollymawk

Anthony Johnson
03-11-2015, 11:54 AM
This post was inspired by Ian Wilson's great shot of the Wandering Albatross. We also found Wanderers off Kiakoura, New Zealand only 2 km from shore, but this Buller's Mollymawk (Albatross) was in the Foveaux Straight between the South Island and Stewart Island, New Zealand. Very overcast day, hence the sombre grays.
Pentax K3, DA*300mm lens. 1/500sec @ f/8. ISO 400.

gail bisson
03-11-2015, 06:42 PM
Hi Anthony,
Always nice to see someone new posting on BPN.
NZ is on my bucket list and a trip to Stewart Island is on the list!
Great bird.
I think the image is underexposed and would address that in PP.
I really like the water droplets on the back.
Your composition doesn't feel right to my eye. I want to see more of the body.
I realize that it was not possible for you to get a lower POV but if you had been able to get at water level you would have a stronger image.
I see a vertical cloning line on the upper Left hand edge that needs to be cleaned up.
Looking forward to more,
gail

Anthony Johnson
03-11-2015, 08:32 PM

Gail. Thanks for comments. It will take me a while to get used to this forum! I cropped the image as everyone posting for this 'theme' seemed to have head-only portraits!
This is the un-cropped shot. Yes, NZ is a magical place.

Tony

Gerald Kelberg
03-12-2015, 03:01 AM
Hi Anthony,
That is a pretty amazing looking bird - the white grey and black is striking and that yellow and black bill is wild!
I think the uncropped posting is a better image - showing the whole bird. Agree with Gail about the fine droplets on the back.
I would be tempted to stretch the top to give it another half inch of water above; maybe lighten the eye a little and apply some extra sharpening to the bill.
Thanks for sharing - we don't get many "Mollys" around here!
Gerald

Daniel Cadieux
03-12-2015, 06:16 AM
I agree the full body version is a stronger image (although it needs more room at top and a bit at left). It sure does look to have a mean streak to it with the deep eye! The yellow bill stands out nicely and adds a nice splash of colour. Yes, this month's theme is for head and shoulder portraits...it would have been great to have been able to get something similar as your OP with out needing to crop so much.

Anthony Johnson
03-12-2015, 11:28 AM
Gerald:

I have tried to follow your suggestions. Welcome your comments.

(Bye the way, is it OK to repost modified images in the same post?)

Tony

Gerald Kelberg
03-16-2015, 04:28 AM
Hi Anthony,

This looks a great improvement on your original post. Well done!

Gerald

Daniel Cadieux
03-16-2015, 06:00 AM
Yes, big improvement, and yes, you are allowed to post a reworked image within the same thread:S3: