PDA

View Full Version : Knot

Jonathan Ashton
03-11-2015, 08:10 AM
I have just bought the new 100-400L so I paired it with the 1.4TC, I was amazed at the precision and speed of focus, I really thought the TC might compromise things but I am pretty chuffed with the performance so far.
Handheld Canon 1DX Canon 100-400L IS & 1.4TC 111, Auto ISO 640, 1/1000 sec f8. I carried out modest crop for composition and a few monor adjustments for highlights and a little Dodging to the eyes. I have just noticed a vertical line in the plumage between the legs of the RHS bird, this is something natural, it is in the raw file.
All C&C welcome.

Derek_Lauzon
03-11-2015, 11:04 AM
Great shot Jonathan, the detail is outstanding.

Kirk Benson
03-11-2015, 03:46 PM
Terrific DOF and excellent detail in both Knots, and the eye contact is nice too. Impressive IQ with the TC attached, enjoy the new combo.

This forum (just recently returned) has made me take a much more critical view of every aspect of my images, and other's images as well, to learn what makes images memorable. I have two observations to offer:
1. I've always been keenly aware of the BG as I shoot, trying to position myself with the best BG available. In this case I would have moved to my left (if possible) just enough to eliminate the dark triangular shadow on left side of frame, and still keep both birds in focus.
2. The color of the water is beautiful, but it seems to overpower the other colors in the image a bit, in other words, the other colors don't appear as richly saturated to my eye, especially on the Knots. But your image may represent exactly as it was when you captured the moment.
I observe these things in my head to learn and hopefully improve my images, and sometimes I share them in the spirit of helping others. :S3:

Overall it's a lovely image that I very much enjoyed Jonathan, well done. :S3:

William Dickson
03-11-2015, 03:57 PM
Hi Jon, I love this image, esp the birds and the feather detail. Its prob one of your best when it comes to feather detail. (Was it Adobe or Canon, or both)? but I have to agree with Kirk concerning the BG. And also the contrast on the birds. Maybe they are a tad oversharpened.

Its got me thinking now about buying one of those lenses

Good work and thanks for sharing

Jonathan Ashton
03-11-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback I agree about viewpoint but it was impossible to move over to the left as I was against a brick wall! It was processed using DPP4 and CS6, the images are so sharp I am wondering about lowering the default sharpening setting in DPP from 3 to 2, I usually lower the other settings anyway. I did evaluate this particular image before posting and I have applied less sharpening to the jpeg than I would routinely use. I think the sun was almost in the optimal position because the birds turned towards me and that is when I fired the shutter. I am getting the impression very clearly that the raw image initially captured on full frame is sharper than the once captured with a cropped frame.
Regards the lens, I have only used it once but I am blown away by the speed of focus and that is with the 1.4TC attached, I am beginning to wonder just how much I will be using my 500mm in future because these results are so good and the zoom combo is so portable by comparison.
(I can let you know where I bought it from - it was considerably cheaper than the usual suppliers).

Roland
03-12-2015, 09:58 AM
What was the focal length of the zoom, fully out at 400mm?
..and BTW these are Dunlins

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2015, 10:31 AM
What was the focal length of the zoom, fully out at 400mm?
..and BTW these are Dunlins

Roland you are quite right - just testin!! I batch renamed some images and didn't notice I had included these dunlins.
The focal length was 400mm plus the 1.4TC = 560mm, taken at full aperture i.e. f8

Roland
03-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Stunning picture Jonathan, congratulations!
I used to be a Nikon man but have given up bird photography and sold everything two years ago. I am a birdwatcher as well and was really tired of always having to decide between taking either the scope and binos or the SLR with the 500 lens plus TC and the 70-200, so I have pulled the plug on photography.
Now the Canon 7D II 100-400 II combo looks to be the solution and I am very very tempted......

Jonathan Ashton
03-12-2015, 11:49 AM
Stunning picture Jonathan, congratulations!
I used to be a Nikon man but have given up bird photography and sold everything two years ago. I am a birdwatcher as well and was really tired of always having to decide between taking either the scope and binos or the SLR with the 500 lens plus TC and the 70-200, so I have pulled the plug on photography.
Now the Canon 7D II 100-400 II combo looks to be the solution and I am very very tempted......

Well Roland - you've just got to, you only live once!

Mike Poole
03-12-2015, 11:58 AM
I thought the sharpness was superb, and that was before you mentioned the TC. Looks like my bank manager will be falling out with me again soon...

Regarding the shot itself it's a real shame that rock is behind the left hand bird, but given you couldn't move we'll have to settle for 2 nice poses with top notch specs, great work