PDA

View Full Version : Coba at Sunrise

Dvir Barkay
03-11-2015, 01:57 AM

A difficult shot to pull off because of the very hard contrast and at the same time low micro contrast because of the low light hitting every particle in the air. Nothing is clipped, just the light was very hard and contrasty as the sun was about a minute away from making an appearance a little to the left of the framing of this shot. Hard to see the beautiful pyramid (with all the illuminated air particles blocking the view) nestled between the forest with some of the forest actually growing on the pyramid (the whole part of the forest that rises is actually the pyramid with the rainforest growing on top of it). It was my first stop during the two week trip, and I have to say that it is beautiful and highly recommended for anyone that visits the area as it is often overlooked.

Sony A77, Tamron 70-300@300, F/5.6, ISO 400, Tripod and quick release cable were employed, 2015, Coba Ruins in Mexico

Diane Miller
03-11-2015, 11:01 AM
I like the layered effect. I have a love/hate relationship with this kind of light. I'd try pushing for more detail/contrast in the pyramid and surrounding trees, but it will bring out a lot of grain.

Feels like it needs some significant CW rotation.

Dvir Barkay
03-11-2015, 12:07 PM
I like the layered effect. I have a love/hate relationship with this kind of light. I'd try pushing for more detail/contrast in the pyramid and surrounding trees, but it will bring out a lot of grain.

Feels like it needs some significant CW rotation.

Thanks for the reply, yes it is very difficult light to work with, and there is just no way to make it contrasty of pop out. Backlighting, especially at sunrise (much much easier at sunset) will almost always render a difficult image in terms of pure contrast, but I do feel that this is one of the ones that works more on the mood in terms of effect. You are right about the tilting, I knew I forgot something in my workflow haha :), although I now like the compo less as it is tighter, maybe will redo it again from the start as I believe there was a bit of more room around the pyramid in the original.

Dvir Barkay
03-11-2015, 02:44 PM
Newer version with a bit more contrast on the pyramid, and rotated properly without changing the crop.

Diane Miller
03-11-2015, 03:47 PM
Or... just for consideration, although I realize we all have a different vision. Some further straightening (with Distort) and Detail Extractor.

Don Railton
03-12-2015, 11:36 PM
Hi Dvir... i think you have to work with the light, not against it.. because the light is always going to win... Good attempt, but....

DON