PDA

View Full Version : Wandering Albatross sp.

Ian Wilson
03-09-2015, 07:52 PM
This is probably Antipodean Albatross, Diomedea antipodensis, one of the species previously lumped with Wandering Albatross. The frame was captured on a pelagic bird cruise on the edge of the continental shelf about 45 km offshore from Port Stephen, NSW, on the east coast of Australia. These huge birds are awe-inspiring as they majestically glide past. I have given this one plenty of room in the frame as I wanted to show the cloudy sky and a wave-top rolling away from the boat.
Canon 5DIII + 300 mm f/2.8L II + 1.4x III extender, hand-held.
Manual, spot metering, 9-pt zone AF, f/5.6, 1/3200 sec, ISO 400.
Processed with DPP4 and PS Elements.

Thanks for looking, critical feedback always welcome.
Regards,
Ian

Jack Breakfast
03-09-2015, 11:45 PM
A nice romantic look at this magnificent monster. If you have any more water below I'd love to see some.

David Salem
03-10-2015, 03:25 AM
Great look at this big traveling bird. I like the pose and the wing position and it has just enough water to let us know that he's out to see. Techs look good but I might sharpen it one more time for web posting. Well done Ian

Stu Bowie
03-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Hi Ian, a wonderful show of the Albatross's wingspan, I can see why they can stick around at sea for a long time. I feel you comp works well with lots of space around the Albatross, and I do like the show of the rough sea in the lower half of the frame.

Although Ive stated the sea looks great in your image, it does make me feel sea sick. I could never go out in those conditions. I certainly dont have sea legs. :w3

Derek_Lauzon
03-10-2015, 04:25 PM
What a terrific shot Ian, I just love the wave at the bottom of the frame.

Ian Wilson
03-15-2015, 05:41 AM
Thanks everyone for taking the trouble to comment on this image - much appreciated. Kind regards, Ian.