PDA

View Full Version : Theme Woodie environmental

Joe Subolefsky
03-09-2015, 07:22 PM
Instead of the typical headshot I went for more of an environmental portrait= Mr Woodie on his perch looking skyward. Canon 5DIII 500f4+1.4, ISO500,F6.3@200sec. Hope you enjoy and thanks for looking.

Derek_Lauzon
03-09-2015, 08:35 PM
Great shot Joe, awesome detail and background. This is one of my nemesis birds, I've never gotten a good shot of a woody.

Bill Dix
03-09-2015, 08:36 PM
Simply gorgeous, Joe. A very different Woodie shot. No nits from me.

Alison McCoy
03-09-2015, 10:08 PM
Amazing detail and beautifully presented. Congratulations. :S3:

arash_hazeghi
03-10-2015, 01:58 AM
This is sweet Joe. I love the pose, details and the BG. I also like the curved perch and where he is standing on it plus those cool webbed feet, I only wish the tip of the tail had not intersected with the perch.

As posted the image shows a yellow cast, I used color balance in PS to neutralize it

TFS

David Salem
03-10-2015, 03:20 AM
What a great looking frame of this wood duck. I really like the pose and the branch he is standing on. The background looks fantastic with his colors.
Before I saw the repost I was going to mention the Color cast and the hazy look to it also. Arash's repost addressed those items well. Very cool looking frame.

Joe Subolefsky
03-10-2015, 07:36 AM
I had purposely left the golden cast because it's real in this case. If you look in the drakes eye you can see the sun is just skimming the horizon this cove is surrounded with phragmites and cattails on clear days their reflection lights everything in a golden blaze. You can even see how well lit he is under his chin and at the back of his head under his hood which would normally be in dark shadow. This little cove is one of my favorite places to shoot early mornings for this very reason even if it takes wading a small river and crossing part of a marsh in the dark to get there.

I like your repost as well Arash. Guess it's just my personal attachment to the spot that lets me live with the gold color on this one :)

Daniel Cadieux
03-10-2015, 08:42 AM
That is such a fun perch for the Wood Duck! A beautiful healthy specimen too. I did think the image needed a touch more contrast (or deeper blacks at least) and Arash's post addresses that too, not sure if it is simply a secondary effect of the colour balance tweak.

Shantanu Ambulgekar
03-10-2015, 08:58 AM
simply Fabulous. Great image. It would have added more beauty if the tail of bird was able to make it in the image. This is my opinion.
Loved clarity on the chest of the bird. Was the focus there or on the Eye ?

Joe Subolefsky
03-10-2015, 09:30 AM
The spot looks a lot different right now. I was out over the weekend cleaning a couple of their boxes and trimming up the willow I use for a perch, I set a blind just to the left of it. I also setup a couple floating logs for them to use in good light.

Stu Bowie
03-10-2015, 10:17 AM
Hi Joe, lovely angled pose, and well exposed on the various colours. Excellent detail throughout, and I like the visible droplets on the head. Ari's repost has sorted out the cast.

Raybel Robles
03-10-2015, 11:58 AM
Very nice detail and unique image for a Duck. If it was mines I would had gone somewhere between the original post and Arash's version. I also agree with Daniel that the images needs bit more contrast.

stuart wanuck
03-10-2015, 05:27 PM
very nicely done

mohammad reza shahab
03-10-2015, 08:01 PM
sweet image.I like the pose,BG and very good details.

Binu John
03-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Lovely shot! Excellent pose, exposure, details and BG. Arash's RP fixed the color cast. Well done, Joe!