PDA

View Full Version : More Jackal Antics...

Andre Pretorius
03-08-2015, 01:19 PM
This is the story of Pretzel. She and her partner own a waterhole called Cubitje Quap in the Kalahari. Everyone not bigger than her must ask permission to drink.
Much bigger characters are exempt, but she still keeps a watchful eye.
She sometimes allows Bateleurs and other big birds, other times she chases them.
We have been following her since 2013, she is still at it!
Springbok, well that is another story....:t3

On this occasion an old Badger, Tom, came to drink and soothe his old bones in the cool water. He did not ask for permission, he never asks anyone for anything...

Pretzel would not let this go, she had to assert her presence, dominance..:eek3:

She had her normal Jackal-trot going past Tom, then turning for the execution. On her way to Tom, I remember Gabriela's muffled voice from behind the camera "she would not dare..."

Well, she did.

The last image is a badger as one would expect, trotting with self confidence...

Hope you enjoyed the little story and images.

If you ever drive past Cubitje, look for Pretzel, she will be lying in the shade close the waterhole, watching.
Beware...

Andre

Gabriela Plesea
03-08-2015, 02:33 PM
Thank you Andre, for sharing this awesome and very amusing sighting in this Forum!

Would like to tell everyone how the name of Pretzel came about...we did not feed her pretzels, of course...she would not even like them...we were busy munching on pretzels the first time we met this special character, and something about the way she carried herself around - kind of perky and with those alert ears always up - made me think of this name for her. Andre thought her unusually big canines would slice through a pretzel with much ease...well, such were our silly thoughts while waiting at the waterhole for some hours to see and capture some action...

I just love this sequence, first of all I was there and remember every moment, the excitement, the "unknown" factor as in "how Pretzel was going to react to Tom's arrival and prolonged stay at the water hole". I have not seen badgers before in close proximity, this was a first. And thought Pretzel would not dare come close to him. But she did. He was quite a routinely fellow, and to our surprise she bit him again the next afternoon, around the same time. This is when we realised she was one special character and we keep going back to visit her every time we are in the Kalahari, just to see what she is up to...

Hope everyone enjoyed this sequence, I certainly did:)

Kind regards,

Alison McCoy
03-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Amazing captures on this series of events. Interesting story and commentary on behaviors as well. Thanks for sharing it. :S3:

Rachel Hollander
03-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Hi Andre - What a great sighting. I still haven't seen a badger so I'm jealous. Love the last image of the badger on its own as a stand alone shot too. You should post it in Wildlife too.

TFS,
Rachel

Andreas Liedmann
03-09-2015, 01:14 PM
Hi Andre love your little story about Pretzel , wonder you did not tell me about her at Qubitje ............. but i guess you have been busy with the HOOTER ,LOLLOLOLOLOL.
Nice images and nicely processed with the last one standing out for me .
Have you copied Gabriela´s wording , very well done my friend .

Rachel - the image was already posted in the past :w3, you missed it , i hope i am right :bg3:.

Love this little story Andre .

TFS Andreas

Rachel Hollander
03-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Ha, thanks Andreas. I searched for and found the image. Andre did indeed post it in Wildlife in 2013, I even commented on it. My apologies Andre.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Don't mess with Miss Pretzel! Great sequence, made me laugh!

Morkel Erasmus
03-09-2015, 03:58 PM
A great sequence and story, I am still so greeeeen about this sighting Andre! :cheers:

Andre Pretorius
03-11-2015, 11:50 AM
Thank you all for enjoying the little story, I loved living it!:bg3: