PDA

View Full Version : Another pose of the Harris' Hawk

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 12:13 PM
It just wasn't interested in giving me a classic pose, but I was happy with what I got. I'd never even seen one before this brief encounter, and probably never been that close to any hawk. Lower Rio Grande Valley, baited. The light was way too dull.

Canon 7D2, 100-400 II, ISO 1600, 1/1600, f/8. Handheld.

Joseph Przybyla
03-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Lovely Dianne, thank you for sharing.

William Dickson
03-08-2015, 12:56 PM
Beautiful image Diane. I love the colours on the bird, and the feather detail (maybe a wee bit more sharpness ?) The BG is awesome, it is so 'stormy' looking and I think it goes great with the bird and the perch. Overall a very nice image. Good work

annmpacheco
03-08-2015, 01:16 PM
another great shot of the Harris, I would like to see more sharpening on the bird to bring out the definition in the feathers. Also, I see a bit of noise on the top where the beautiful booked is darkest. Overall, a great hawk you captured!

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks, guys! I did forget to sharpen the JPEG. And didn't notice the noise in the distant trees -- now fixed. Maybe I need better reading glasses....

Also forgot to mention any processing. Just the usual tonal tweaks in LR -- not much in this case. Then in PS for a little NR, but obviously not enough for the trees. Lightened the eye a little.

keith mitchell
03-08-2015, 02:16 PM
Diane considering the conditions you describe I think you have done a great job with this, the repost looks great and agree with Williams comment re that stormy looking sky ,pleasure to view.

Keith.

gail bisson
03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Sometimes flat light is the best light. Repost is excellent.
Great BG and pose and IQ. No nits from me on this lovely shot, Gail

Jack Breakfast
03-08-2015, 08:14 PM
Complaining about this light would be tantamount to insanity. I hope others will agree. Loveliness! Softness!

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 08:23 PM
I love soft light, but the intensity was so low -- ISO 1600 is not good on the 7D2, even with proper exposure. And needing a little DOF, and some shutter speed on a moving subject, is a double whammy. I should have gone for the 1DX -- will probably go for its successor sight unseen.

Jack Breakfast
03-08-2015, 08:47 PM
I see. Different strokes. I quite like iso1600 on the 7D myself! ? !

Dvir Barkay
03-09-2015, 01:19 AM
Looks good Diane, good colors (with a nice yellowish tinge that adds to the feel of the locale), and very beautiful subject as well. Maybe I would slightly blur the backround on the bottom a bit as it is very so slightly busyish. Overall great job! (was thinking of getting the 7D2 although the 1Dx is my dream, I think that if you complain of it high ISO at 1600 then I will hold out, as my 1DIII is still a heck of camera, and produces really clean files even at high ISOs like ISO1600 and 2000)

Diane Miller
03-09-2015, 09:26 AM
My complaint about ISO 1600 on the 7D2 is that the noise correlates with a loss of resolving power, which drops well below what today's good lenses can do.

Dvir, hold out for the 1DX successor, or a used 1DX if that's what the budget permits. I got the 7D2 as a stopgap measure, and because I'm a gearhead. I've always been unhappy with the ability of the 5D3 for things like birds in flight. From the specs when it and the 1DX came out, they looked a lot closer than they are, except for the burst rate. I would have upgraded to the 1DX a while ago, but for fear that as soon as I do a newer one will come out that's better. The 7D2 is an improvement over the 5D3 for action, with considerably better AF, and I like the extra reach, but the noise is about a stop worse.

Stu Bowie
03-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Hi Diane, congrats on capturing your first of this species, and I do like the feather detail in this. Good to see the different colours on the Hawk, and they compliment the BG nicely.

Grace Scalzo
03-09-2015, 05:06 PM
I think that you did well with the situation. Super bird and quite an intense pose.

John Cooper
03-09-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi Diane - love the pose you've captured here as the hawk alights onto its perch.
I see you are using the same new gear as I have just purchased. Loving the combo :S3: