PDA

View Full Version : Meteora Monasteries

Dvir Barkay
03-08-2015, 12:40 AM

Still have stuff to edit from Greece, and now I have all the photos from Mexico, and have to get through them all (and school) before summer stuff, tiring. So, one from the summer from Greece from Meteora. Enjoy.

Sony A00, Tamron 70-300@120mm, F/8, 2014, Meteora in Greece

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Great capture of an amazing scene! The atmospheric perspective from hazy light adds to the air of mystery.

What are you studying?

Dvir Barkay
03-08-2015, 01:24 PM
Thanks Diane :) it is a beautiful location.

I am still in school (12th grade) and I take a lot of AP classes... so lots of work to manage between my photography.

Morkel Erasmus
03-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Nicely composed Dvir, and I agree that the hazy feel adds to the image.
Good luck with your studies...last year before the big leagues!

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 10:25 PM
You have a wonderful start in photography! (And I'd guess in quite a few other things.) Keep up the journey!!

Don Railton
03-08-2015, 11:25 PM
Hi Dvir... Have we seem this before?? maybe it was something similar... I like the placement of the buildings and the interesting rock formations. I might have included all of that rock that has been cut off top of frame, Looks like you just missed including it all, but that is the only thing that I would consider changing in this composition.. I am not as keen on the haze as the others.

DON

Dvir Barkay
03-09-2015, 01:11 AM
Thank you guys for the kind words. I do plan on being a photographer first before ever going on to university (will probably do that later down the road after a few good years of pure photography). So Morkel is right that next year is the first official year that I fully dedicate to photography, although I have worked very hard at it the last few years.

@Don, I totally agree with you about the clipped rock, had to rotate the shot a bit to make it level, for some reason when I took it, it wasn't level and so had to clip the rock that was fully in the image in the original scene. I should have used a tripod for this one, and taken my time and been more careful with the leveling.

Don Lacy
03-12-2015, 12:59 PM
Wonderful scene Dvir to bad about the clip rock. I think a little bit of local contrast would reall make this nice try the following values on a separate layer with unsharp mask 10, 60, 0 I think you will like the effect.

Gerald Kelberg
04-02-2015, 04:29 AM
@Don, I totally agree with you about the clipped rock, had to rotate the shot a bit to make it level, for some reason when I took it, it wasn't level and so had to clip the rock that was fully in the image in the original scene. I should have used a tripod for this one, and taken my time and been more careful with the leveling.

If you haven't clipped much off, you might get away with using Artie's stretching trick on the original background thus: Create additional canvas at top - select complete image with crop tool, then use handle to stretch where you want it and allow enough space for levelling. Copy the top of the image (in this case) - select with rectangle tool - i'd go just below the ridge that is in the shade. Copy (Cmd C) and paste (Cmd V). Cmd T for the transform tool and pull the handle up to the edge of the canvas - essentially enough to expose the top of the rock in this case and Enter. Then the trickiest bit is to work on the top layer with a soft edge Eraser (say 40% hardness) to expose the original background. Because you have a complex background, it may take some extra care and precision to align everything. Then do your levelling.

It is worth a try, and at worst, it is a very useful technique to learn for other images.

Good luck with it. Gerald