PDA

View Full Version : Winter W.T. Sparrow in a low-lit sweetpocket

Jack Breakfast
03-07-2015, 10:21 PM
One of the good white-throated sparrows, seen in a low-lit sweetpocket among the hibernal twiggeries of Toronto.

Canon 7D, 100-400 at 400mm; iso1600, 1/200, f5.6

http://www.smallbirdsongs.com

Diane Miller
03-07-2015, 10:57 PM
This is really lovely! I think Robert Bateman would approve!

Soft light accentuated by the soft OOF branches. Having FG branches OOF is often detrimental to an image but here it works very well -- for me, anyway. The soft gold light in the BG is delightful and the bird is well balanced by the heavier branches on the left.

I might clone out the small branch below the bird.

Jack Breakfast
03-07-2015, 11:15 PM
Thanks Diane. I was quite taken with this scene, and unsure in the moment as to whether or not I liked the hooked branch below our friend. Indeed I tried several compositions, but there's something about that branch that balances things for me?

Diane Miller
03-07-2015, 11:19 PM
That it does, but it's perilously close to the bottom edge. Any more room there? It could be surgically shortened, but it would be a delicate operation.

Jack Breakfast
03-07-2015, 11:23 PM
Quite right! With this particular frame (my favorite by far of the lengthy sequence) there is no room at all. This is the full-frame picture, for better and worse!

Dvir Barkay
03-08-2015, 12:58 AM
Agree with Dianne that the image works nicely, with the OOF branches adding to the painterly feel of the image. Nice one.

keith mitchell
03-08-2015, 04:10 AM
Jack it's a lovely scene that you have captured here, great fluffed up relaxed pose of the bird.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
03-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Jack that is a really different image and very eye catching, well done. I like the branches and twigs as presented.

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 09:36 AM
If it's not against your ethics, it's easy to add a little canvas at the bottom and fill it in. I used Content-aware Fill here and had to do a little cloning as sometimes it tries to put in detail where you don't want it. Hope you don't mind my playing with your beautiful shot!!

Jack Breakfast
03-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Diane, are you kidding? I am flattered, and welcome such tinkerings! Let me get my eyes on this one. I see where you're going with this, I really do. At the moment I'm undecided, but I appreciate your giving me something new to consider.