PDA

View Full Version : New Macbook or upgrade old macbook?

Lyle Gruby
03-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Hi all,

I am wondering where the point of diminishing returns is with laptops? I currently have a 2009 MBP that I just ordered some new RAM for because it is extremely slow. I am also considering getting an SSD. Apple is rumored to be announcing a new Macbook Air with Retina soon which would be the perfect computer for me. So, my question is, about when is a laptop too old to update--are my graphics card and processor going to be able to hold up to newer media and lightroom versions going forward? I see Apple made Yosemite available to macbooks going back to 2007, but how long are they going to support my current MBP?

There obviously is not one answer for when a laptop is too old, but I really do not know much about this topic, so any guidance would be appreciated.

FYI:

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB

Thanks for any help

(Also, if this post needs to be moved to the workflow thread, please do so moderator)

arash_hazeghi
03-07-2015, 11:45 PM
The old dual-core CPU will be the limit of performance for you, if you plan to do a lot of RAW processing. I wouldn't spend more money on this machine and just wait to upgrade to the new BMP/MBA. For your main machine, I recommend a quad core MBP