PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly

Oscar Zangroniz
05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Practicing with my new macro lens last Sunday at Fairchild tropical gardens. Angle of the dragonfly is not the best, but it was the only way of capturing the shot. As always, your comments and critiques are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!

NIKON D300
Sigma 150mm 2.8 w/1.4tc
Focal length: 210mm
Shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
Aperture: 7.1
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -1
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 200

Gus Cobos
05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Agree on the angle of capture Oscar...Hey the wings are nice and sharp. My nit would be to lighten the sky just a tad, and tone down the hot spot on the green leaf...:eek:congrats...:D

Gus Cobos
05-28-2008, 06:35 PM
I cropped it; see if you like this look...:confused: also lightened the sky and sprinkled a tad of sharpening...:D

Katie Rupp
05-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Oscar,
The lacy dragonfly wings are neat; I like Gus's crop for a better composition but on my monitor its a little too bright. Have fun with the macro lens!
Katie

Oscar Zangroniz
05-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Thanks Bud. Like it much better.

Doug Brown
05-28-2008, 07:52 PM
Nice shot of this dragonfly Oscar! I'm no macro expert, but I do the occasional macro photo. When shooting macro, your DOF is very small. You'll rarely get the desired result at f/7.1. With the dragonfly pointed at an angle to you, a smaller aperture would have given you more DOF. It looks like you had enough light judging by your shutter speed and low ISO. Keep up the good work, and thanks for posting!

Sid Overbey
05-28-2008, 08:12 PM
Looks good Oscar. The original was a little dark, but Gus' repost fixed that. Nice dragonfly.

Sid

Alfred Forns
05-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Excellent work Gus !!! Like the re post !!!

Oscar great point by Doug !!! For dragonflies and other insects having the bug parallel to the film plane is a must. Even stopping down the dof is minimal. With these guys you have some predictability. Often they will take off and and land in the same perch over and over.

You also need the wind form the right direction with a good sun angle. No different than for bids. Soft light is a must or can use a diffuser at times. btw my favorite dragonfly lens is the 200-400 Can get full frame without extension tubes !!!!