PDA

View Full Version : TURKEY FEATHERS

gary ellwein
03-06-2015, 01:48 AM
This is a rough attempt at a Dennis Bishop like image. Earlier this year a large flock of wild turkeys paraded past my truck. The lighting was bad and the large impressive toms kept their distance. There was not a single keeper image in the lot. This is an attempt to salvage something from the shoot. I have always been impressed with the beauty of turkey feathers when caught in the right light.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
03-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Gary,

Greetings. Very cool image. I particularly like how the layered feathers have a tiled look and the combination of colors. I'd be interested in the processing details (if you want to present like Dennis... ;-)

Cheers,

-Michael-

Diane Miller
03-06-2015, 01:14 PM
Very nice -- you salvaged something good! I like the outline effect, capture of the iridescent colors and composition of the patterns.

gary ellwein
03-06-2015, 04:31 PM
Michael and Diane thanks for the look and comments. Michael, unlike Dennis, I am lax in documenting how I arrive at a given result. There is a lot of trial and error that does not get recorded. For this image I started with Topaz Simplify Watercolor II. Added a couple Topaz Simplify Line and Ink Black line only layers and a Fractalius layer all with multiply blend mode. The fractalius layer was altered to accentuate the feather edges. Some focal tweaking with Hue/Sat and a Very light Orton Effect.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-06-2015, 04:46 PM
Beautiful colours and flow to this image Gary. It has a "Dennis feel", but more saturated. I agree, with the right light the colours are so jewel-like.

Gabriela Plesea
03-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Wow, this is so, so much more than "salvaging something from the shoot" - stunning patterns and colours, this would make a beautiful print!

Enjoyed viewing, very much - thank you.

Kind regards,

Hazel Grant
03-08-2015, 12:21 PM
as the saying goes,"when live gives you lemons, make lemonade"---or the phographer's version, "when the camera gives you blahs, get out Photoshop"
Of course, you were able to "see" beyond the bad photos to see this potential. good for you.

Wendy Kates
03-08-2015, 04:43 PM
This is a beautiful abstract image: the colors, lines and layers are all very striking.

Kerry Perkins
03-08-2015, 10:32 PM
I really enjoy looking at this image Gary, it has a lot of interest for the eye. The color palette is very nice and the processing brings out the beauty of the feathers very well. Good job!

Dennis Bishop
03-15-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm starting to play catch-up after returning from a month's travels, and I wasn't sure how far back I should go. When I saw this, there was no question I needed to go back at least this far. I like what you started with and what you did with it. The colors, the lines, and the range of tones make a very nice image. Turkey feathers . . . I don't know if I'd have guessed it, and I think that makes an image even more compelling. Very nice work.