PDA

View Full Version : Somewhere east of Moab

Diane Miller
03-06-2015, 12:13 AM
Another of my unconventional landscapes. (You'd think I don't own a tripod...)

Canon 7D2, 100-400 II at 135mm, ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/5000 (because of slight turbulence). It was about 10 am and clear but the air was hazy. No clean air anywhere anymore. But I was struck by the pattern and the soft colors, and liked the low contrast. Wish I had included a little more on the bottom and right, though.

Don Railton
03-07-2015, 03:41 AM
Hi Diane,

I like this. The river trenches lead the eye nicely and the soft tones are pleasing to the eye. I imaging a little more to the bottom would have the rivers entering on the corner and more to the right would have that branch complete and not leading the eye out of frame. That would be better compositionally for me anyway and I think that's what you were wishing for... I do like the patterns of the earth from altitude and think they make excellent landscapes images. (viewed through a brand new PA302W, with one stuck pixel in 4 million, but its going to be swapped anyway...)

regards

DON

Geoffrey Montagu
03-07-2015, 08:31 AM
A great deal to like about this image, Diane. I can imagine how you felt in person at this location, because it sure is contemplative on my monitor. You have captured the pattern, soft colors and low contrast beautifully.

Geoffrey

Dvir Barkay
03-08-2015, 12:53 AM
Nice shot Diane, good perspective and nice subtle colors. This is from a plane correct?

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Thanks, everyone! Yes, we were in our (OK, my husband's -- he/she who flies also changes oil -- my choking point) Beechcraft Bonanza at about 12-14,000 ft, going from Montrose, CO to Santa Rosa, CA nonstop. The weather was nicer than usual over the mountains and I found more interesting shots than I expected. But shooting at an angle through the curved plexi window is what they call a crapshoot.

Morkel Erasmus
03-08-2015, 05:21 PM
Cool textures and lines Diane, with a pleasing colour palette.
Hazy air late morning actually helps photography, from my experience, but I presume you needed to shoot THROUGH the haze from above, which is a different challenge altogether :bugeyed:
Looks good for a grab shot through plexi glass, though. Monochrome might also be an option?

Diane Miller
03-08-2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks, Morkel. I gave a monochrome interpretation a shot, but a lot of what I like about it is the gold/gray color palette. Not a lot of tonal contrast for B/W, even after some playing with Curves.

But I did try going to Luminosity mode for the B/W layer (Nik Silver Efex Pro) and now I like the added contrast it brought out, where before I liked the low contrast.

Thanks for triggering an interesting exercise.

From the ground, haze can be wonderful for atmospheric perspective, as in Dvir's Greek monasteries. (I'm one of the few people on the planet who likes Los Angeles' smog. But then I only visit it, don't have to live in it.) From the air, haze just washes everything out, and bringing up contrast also brings up noise. The worst if if you are shooting even a little toward the sun, as front scattering really accentuates the haze.

Morkel Erasmus
03-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Agreed - colour works better!