600mm 4.0
1.4 EXT
F 6.7
1/500th
ISO 800
Fill Flash with BB

Doug Brown
05-28-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi John. Like the perch, BG, and sharpness. Too bad about the shadows running across the bird. The bird could stand to be a bit brighter.

john crookes
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
it is not often that these guys go too far out in the open up here in the northeast so I kind of like the effect of the soft shadows on him and the bright bold eye peeking into the sun

Gus Cobos
05-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Great composition and pose John,
I like the colors on your subject. The details are sharp and the soft background in conjunction with the perch brings it all together...:) congrats...:D

Axel Hildebrandt
05-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Nice find and setting. I agree about the shadows on the plumage and would give it a bit more room and find the blue spot in the upper left a bit distracting.

Blake Shadle
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Really nice work, John. I love the look of the eye! Very nice background also. Definitely a unique setting for a Black-crowned Night Heron. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Malbon
05-28-2008, 07:15 PM
John, Those Mods are here to nit pick, I say that is perfect!!! Bob

Blake Shadle
05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
John, Those Mods are here to nit pick, I say that is perfect!!! Bob

Let me translate: John, those very talented and knowledgeable photographers are here to help you refine your craft, pushing each one of us to strive for only the best.

Doug Brown
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Well-said Blake! The best way to improve your bird photography is to submit it to the scrutiny of others. It takes courage, particularly on the Wild and Free forum, where on average the photographic submissions are excellent and the photographers quite knowledgeable. Our critiques are designed to help elevate your game, not put you down.

john crookes
05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
I do respect the critiques and comments I never said anything different my only comment was that I liked the comp as presented
just my opinion

That blue spot is a distant break in the canopy of trees and IMO I think it adds to the scene

Blake Shadle
05-28-2008, 09:48 PM
I do respect the critiques and comments I never said anything different my only comment was that I liked the comp as presented
just my opinion

That blue spot is a distant break in the canopy of trees and IMO I think it adds to the scene

Never said you didn't, John ;) Sometimes we say things aloud so the whole group can hear... meaning, the previous comments weren't necessarily targeted at you :D

Bob Malbon
05-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Blake, It is called a joke. Bob Malbon