PDA

View Full Version : The kopje King.

Marc Mol
03-02-2015, 10:56 AM
The dominant male from the Kusini Kopje pride is on dawn patrol.
I was very pleased when I saw the opportunity that this beautiful male presented me with as it straddled "it's" kopje (rock outcrop) to survey his kingdom!
Tried as best I could to get that tail extended, but it just didn't happen for me on this morning.......musn't grumble :bg3:
With this pride being protected by 4 big males, and (most) of the kopjes themselves being relatively small in height allowing for a much lower POV, this area would have to be one of the best areas to photograph lions on kopjes IMO.:w3

Kusini plains/Serengeti- Nth Tanzania.

D4 80-400AF-S 1/4000s f/5.6 ISO1600@ 210mm. Slight crop for comp, H/H from front pax seat, levels, curves, WB adj + 4% Nik detail to get a sky that resembled what I saw, in PSCC & ACR.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Andreas Liedmann
03-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Hi Marc very nice silhouette of the King .Like the color and tone in the sky , but would choose a different crop though:S3:.

For cleaner corner/edge i would crop where the Kopje meets the bottom line .

TFS Andreas

Behin Nazemroaya
03-02-2015, 12:21 PM
Wow, such a great silhouette of lion. I love your photo. thank you for sharing.
I agree with Andreas about the crop and I think a warmer red sky in background via PP could improve your great capture, Otherwise I love the shot.
Thank you

Behin Nazemroaya
www.prophotocom.com/galleries

Dumay de Boulle
03-02-2015, 02:23 PM
I like this a lot. Gorgeous silhouette and I love the blue sky rather than the typical 'Orange Africa sky'. Very nice Marc!

Marc Mol
03-02-2015, 03:39 PM
Appreciate the comments guys, many thanks.

Hi Marc very nice silhouette of the King .Like the color and tone in the sky , but would choose a different crop though:S3:.

For cleaner corner/edge i would crop where the Kopje meets the bottom line .

TFS Andreas

I had entertained your alternate crop suggestion Andreas but went with this one for a slice more of yellow tones in the sunrise.:w3

Rachel Hollander
03-02-2015, 06:41 PM
Hi Marc - I also like this a lot. Well seen and captured. I too like the blue tones. Andreas's crop suggestion is a good alternative. I do see a slight halo around the lion.:2eyes2:

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
03-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Perfect silhouette, the BG color could not have been better....

Marc Mol
03-03-2015, 06:34 AM
Thanks Rachel & Dan.

I do see a slight halo around the lion.:2eyes2:

TFS,
Rachel

Good pickup Rachel, even if slight they are still visible, this always becomes a problem with large variations in contrast and shows up big time in silhouettes.
After tinkering with many ways of removing halo's, most have involved manual & time consuming methods via the clone stamp tool.

I've recently found a far quicker and more efficient method that involves the healing brush tool and changing the Mode from normal to darken.

...................and yes I should have used it here for my OP, but felt it wasn't required. :2eyes2::bg3:

Here is a RP using that method, the changes are subtle but it does work and do notice an improvement.

D. Robert Franz
03-03-2015, 12:19 PM
Love the silhouette here. A wonderful looking lion for sure! May have cropped a bit off the left and top for comp. Great opportunity and follow through!

Morkel Erasmus
03-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Glorious image mate, love it.
Can't add much more than what's been said already, RP is an improvement. Wish I could spend time with these kopje-climbing lions of the Serengeti someday!

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
03-03-2015, 02:34 PM
Amazing silhouette Marc, all has been dealt with but I must admit this is well thought out and executed frame. Nice work.

haseeb badar
03-03-2015, 04:00 PM
Hello Marc ! I liked the colors as they are, cropping from the left will kill the yellow color, so this composition really works . Beautiful image !

JF Isaksen
03-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Perfect in every aspect! I can really feel the power of this great animal.

christopher galeski
03-04-2015, 06:18 AM
its all been said,a great image,well done.

Gabriela Plesea
03-04-2015, 04:16 PM
The word "glorious" comes to mind, but I see my friend Morkel already used it:)

I love this, brings back special memories, moves my imagination, very evocative - perhaps "sublime silhouette" is appropriate?
Simple and so beautiful, Marc:5

Kind regards,