PDA

View Full Version : Moonshine

Paul Lagasi
02-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Not much happening around town, too cold to photograph anything outdoors. On a drive home from work, I was lucky enough to see the moon coming over the horizon. The foreground is from a sunrise, they just looked good together. Photo of moon taken at 600mm with my Tamron lens and 800E.
Converted to black and white with Nik software.
Unlike new birds the moon is always dependable, unless its overcast. :tinysmile_shy_t:

Ciao for now.

Judy Howle
02-28-2015, 09:44 AM
Beautiful Paul! Really a good example of black and white.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
02-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Paul,

Greetings. Cool moon shot... I particularly like the light off the ice (?). It took me a while to figure out what bothered me about the shot making it look unnatural.... I think the sun angle with respect to the moon (up and to the left) would make it day time! I wonder if you rotated the moon so that the light were coming from the lower left... Anyway just a thought.

Cheers,

-Michael-

Bob Miller
02-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Hi Paul..They do look good together! I am in awe of the sharpness you have on the moon. Can you share your settings? Tripod?

Anita Bower
03-01-2015, 06:07 AM
It works for me. Very nice! Fantastic detail in the moon.

Jackie Schuknecht
03-01-2015, 08:48 AM
I really like the shine off the ice! It looks soooo cold! Something for me didn't look quite right either. I like Michael's suggestion of rotating the moon? Are you starting to warm up. At least is is getting closer to freezing. February has been brutal!

Paul Lagasi
03-01-2015, 11:24 AM
Thanks Bob, I never use a tripod, handhold always :tinysmile_shy_t:

D800E
Tamron 150-600 @ 500mm
F6.3
1/640
Spot
iso - 1000

Thanks for all the comments, maybe it doesn't look right Michael but way up here in the north that's usually the way we see the moon, lit up from the side.
I have rotated the moon, to me it looks un-natural but everyone's visions are different, and opinions appreciated .......

Jackie, there is a bit of light beginning to show at the end of the tunnel, its been the coldest February on record for most of Ontario. But the sun is beginning to feel much warmer, when we see it. Can't wait for this one to be over.

Gabriela Plesea
03-01-2015, 03:53 PM
I like the original post, kind of eerie but also charming and the Moon fills the top of the frame so well - beautifully composed and processed, Paul :cheers:

Kind regards,

Anita Bower
03-01-2015, 06:11 PM
I prefer the OP. If the position of the shine doesn't look right, I think it looks fine, you might move it a bit to the left. I'm not crazy about the frame.

Kerry Perkins
03-02-2015, 02:30 PM
Nice work Paul! I also prefer the original, not too concerned about reality but I never have been. :c3: