PDA

View Full Version : Winter Details

Andrew McLachlan
02-22-2015, 04:16 PM
While out looking for over-wintering waterfowl along the Lake Ontario shoreline a couple of weeks ago I came upon a small creek with some nice ice formations mid-stream. Since the ducks were not co-operating due to very cold and windy conditions I switch gears and began creating mini-landscapes of these details within the stream.

Nikon D800
Nikon 80-400mm VR lens @ 240mm
ISO 50
f36 @ 0.3 sec.
Nikon Polarizing Filter

Look forward to comments.

dankearl
02-22-2015, 06:00 PM
cool shapes, Andrew, not sure what you had but a more Landscape crop would be moe to my liking....

Don Railton
02-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Hi Andrew,

Nice detail in the snow..not alway possible apparently. I would prefer to see this a touch wider so the edges were showing, but as it is it shows an interesting ice formation. Looks a bit like a big jellyfish to me..

DON

Diane Miller
02-25-2015, 11:46 PM
Lovely! -- about my only experience with ice is in frozen Margaritas. Did you zoom in and work the bottom half -- that's fascinating stuff.

Andrew McLachlan
02-28-2015, 09:06 PM
Thanks folks, much appreciated!

Dan & Don - this is full frame and composed to excluded unwanted elements. This was created at Humber Bay Park on Lake Ontario and this park is a man-made park whereby debris from demolished buildings is used to created the "peninsulas" that are later cover with soil and trees and shrubbery planted to create a "natural" area - only problem is that over time bricks and rebar will become visible which was the case here.

Diane - yes I do believe that I did work the bottom edge of the ice here. I will have a look and try post the image tomorrow evening.