PDA

View Full Version : Sand camo frog!

shane shacaluga
02-17-2015, 10:36 AM
In the blazing sun on one of the islets in the Amazon river i spotted this camouflaged frog basking in the sunlight. I only noticed it because it had left a small trail of footprints if not I would have mistaken it for a stone

Tried to keep the image bright to show off the camo

D800e
50mm f1.8 with 12mm ext tube
f11
1/125
ISO 800

Cloned a few small stones from the surrounding area and worked on levels and contrast to bring out some more details on the frog. Selective sharpening also applied on subject

Thanks for your comments and critiques

Anita Bower
02-18-2015, 07:14 AM
You did a great job of showing the chamo! The frog blends beautifully into its surroundings. I like that the eye is sharply focused. Nicely composed, with frog positioned well within the frame.

shane shacaluga
02-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Thanks a lot Anita!

Don Railton
02-18-2015, 11:19 PM
Hi Shane

Well spotted (you and the frog..!). very nice detail. I think cropping a little tighter is required for me, especially some of the FG. I also think there is a slight blue cast and would try dropping the blue channel by ~4 to 5 points..

regards

DON

Jonathan Ashton
02-19-2015, 06:04 AM
What a fantastic subject, he must be tiny, never seen anything like it! I think it is a great image with beautiful colouration, my only suggestion would be to move him down in the frame a little in order to minimise the bland/OOF foreground sand.... I would love to be able to get a shot of one of these... one day I will visit USA!!

Ron Conlon
02-19-2015, 06:53 PM
NIce low point of view, great subject, terrific interest. It is hard to say, but either tighter or looser crops would be interesting to see--but who knows, maybe you are at the sweet spot. Looser would further emphasize the camoflauge and tighter crops would feature the critter more. Nicely done.

shane shacaluga
02-20-2015, 03:05 AM
Thanks for the comments Ron

Allen Sparks
02-21-2015, 03:48 AM
Hi Shane,
I really like this image. Love the camo as shown here and shot is well composed. nicely focused and exposed. Experimenting with cropping in from the bottom may be worth a look as well.

Allen

Diane Miller
02-26-2015, 11:52 PM
I'd maybe take a little off the bottom, but this is wonderful!!!

Steve Maxson
02-27-2015, 11:18 AM
What a cool looking frog - blending perfectly into its sandy environment! Good sharpness and I like the low shooting angle and the even light. The suggestion to crop a little off the bottom will make this strong image even better, IMO. :S3:

Gabriela Plesea
03-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Hello Shane!

Where is the frog? :t3:bg3: Just kidding, lovely capture of this frog in its environment, superb camouflage!

Great advice from Steve above, all I can add is - I found this extremely interesting and enjoyed viewing-thank you.

Kind regards,

shane shacaluga
03-09-2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments