PDA

View Full Version : Winter Clouds

subramanya_ck
02-16-2015, 02:32 AM
Hi All,

Made this image near "Gerusoppaa", a small village in the Western Ghats of India during last September. This is an HDR merge of three frames with following EXIF..

Canon 17-40L on Canon 5D Mark III
f/17 @ 1/80 seconds in Av mode
ISO-100..
Hoya CPL was used to cut the reflections..

Your valuable C&C are most welcome..

BR,
Subbu

Don Railton
02-16-2015, 03:49 AM
Hi Subbu.

The image has a strong 3D feel to it which I like very much. It also had a few remnants of the HDR processing (mainly the fringes of contrasting areas) which don't like. I am not a fan of HDR usually but I think this one with a few small tweeks could be wonderful, as it is I would just rate it as very good. Also not so keen on the vignette if you intentionally added it, if you did not add it then I would lighten those dark corners.. Finally I like the composition except for those two trees cutoff in the FG. In my opinion it would be better if they were compete or completely gone...

regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
02-18-2015, 03:27 PM
Hi SubbuI would concur with Don's assesment, and add that I wish you didn't cut off the shrubs at the bottom of the frame - having them all in would have anchored the image more for me.The horizon feels like it's slanting to the right in a major way (sloping downwards from left to right in the frame)...a rotation would amend this.The HDR treatment does look quite natural, but adding some midtone contrast would make it more pleasing and real in my view...:cheers:

Diane Miller
02-19-2015, 06:15 PM
I love the clouds and the subtle color in them! I concur with the remarks above.

Andrew McLachlan
02-19-2015, 06:59 PM
Overall this is a nicely composed scene but do agree on the cut off trees along the bottom edge as well as the other suggestions for improvement already mentioned.