PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Terraces

Rachel Hollander
02-13-2015, 04:43 PM
I haven't posted in Landscapes in a while because I hadn't really shot many landscapes this past year. However, I just returned from a trip to Yellowstone with Dale Franz and we did some landscape shooting, particularly if the wildlife wasn't cooperating. This one is of one of the thermal terraces at Mammoth which still had a trace amount of snow on it, so a bit of white on white look. I liked using my 70-200 II as a landscape lens to zoom in on certain elements and areas.

Canon 5D3
70-200 II @ 200mm
1/320
f11
ISO 400
HH, cropped to straighten, levels, curves, sharpened in CCPS.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

dankearl
02-13-2015, 06:04 PM
This works as an abstract, but as a landscape photo, it appears flat to me.
I would add some contrast and lighten/darken a few areas to give it depth.

Don Railton
02-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Hi Rachel.

Nice to see you back... I am 100% with Dan on this. I like the repeated patterns & texture, but the stairs and different levels don't stand out enough for the eye to flow through the image easily, in my opinion anyway... I think Dan's suggestions might work.

regards

DON

Grady Weed
02-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Hi Rachel,

I have to concur with my esteemed colleagues on this one. LOL. Seriously...it lacks something to grab you and keep your interests. TFS.

Morkel Erasmus
02-18-2015, 03:35 PM
The 70-200 works wonders for isolating parts of a bigger/busier landscape, Rachel.
I like the look & feel of this scene/area, and agree that adding some tonal depth would probably enhance the visual impact.
Looking at visual flow of composition I might take off a sliver off the top and bottom to eliminate those horizontal lines there and enable the middle portion to grab more attention.

Rachel Hollander
02-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks all, I'll take a look at the suggestions.

Andrew McLachlan
02-19-2015, 06:11 PM
Hi Rachel, we have missed your landscape imagery here. I really like this scene a lot...if you use Nik Color Efex I think all this scene needs is a touch of the Detail Extractor to make it pop :S3:

Diane Miller
02-19-2015, 06:18 PM
I like the idea of just a little off the top, but don't mind the "flatness" as it's giving an artistic look. I might try a very subtle vignette burn at the edges.