PDA

View Full Version : Early Seaside Digital

Ian McHenry
02-13-2015, 04:23 PM
I took this image with my first digital camera a Canon S2IS over 8 years ago towards the end of spring in the early morning.
Metering: Centre weighted. Focal Length 28 mm.
1/2500 @ F7.1.
Comments & reposts welcome.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Rachel Hollander
02-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Hi Ian- Looks like a stormy scene in the distance but with bright sunlight in the crashing waves so difficult to exp. I'm not familiar with that camera and don't know if this captured as a jpeg or raw. I would try to tame the highlights in the waves a bit more and perhaps bring out a bit more detail in the storm clouds if possible.

TFS,
Rachel

Ian McHenry
02-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Thanks Rachel. Your suggestion looks good.
Here is a repost with image desaturated and background from sea horizon to top of image sharpened.

dankearl
02-13-2015, 06:05 PM
Highlights in the repost are much better, but you brought some noise into the clouds.
They appear too blue to me and I would run a touch of NR on them.

Ian McHenry
02-13-2015, 07:59 PM
Thanks Dan
I've reduced the blue and applied minimum NR in Topaz DeNoise 5.

Don Railton
02-14-2015, 10:49 PM
Hi Ian

The last image is the best for me, although I don't like the smudgy marks over the horizon mid frame and the highlights on the waves are borderline cooked. It sort of looks you might have had drips of water on the lens?? I think not but I am not sure what else it might be... I have to say this image shows how much camera technology has changed in 8 years..
DON

Ian McHenry
02-15-2015, 01:14 AM
Thanks Don
Appreciate your observations.
Always good to read what others see.

Andrew McLachlan
02-19-2015, 06:08 PM
The colors in the final repost work much better for this scene, but do agree on the smudgey marks...looks like maybe too much noise reduction to me. A longer exposure here would have worked nicely to soften the ocean waves and draw our attention more to the storm clouds.