PDA

View Full Version : mallard flush

Bob Smith
02-12-2015, 09:25 PM
I caught this jump shot just as I came over a dyke by a slough in Boundary Bay Regional Park.
5DMIII,400 f/4 DO IS,ISO 1250,0 ev,f/4,1/1500,manual ( yes, manual---I finally switched to manual and am liking it),

dankearl
02-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Hey Bob,
I am going to comment because every photo deserves some comments..
I think you have been on the site long enough to know that birds flying away from the camera are not going to get a lot of comments.
Have someone flush them your way next time.
You have nice details on the back and wing feathers, the head is a bit muddled.
Manual shooting will give you better results although you fried the whites, so I would have shot a faster SS.
Your photos always look a bit noisy, which should not be the case with your camera.
Is this a big crop?
Even if it is , you might want to look into NR reduction software like Topaz, it can really make a difference....
Keep shooting.

David Salem
02-14-2015, 12:37 AM
I'm going to throw my two cents in also. I have looked at a few of your last posts and as Dan pointed out, I see allot of noise and inconsistencies in your photography.
I would suggest that you post on the ETL forum for a bit as you start learning what it takes to get better photos. You will get more comments and more help on all aspects of avian photography. Not to downplay your images or your ability but it looks like the perfect place for you to be posting and learning. In this ''Avian" forum it is assumed that you have already learned the basics of good avian photography and you are now ready to show off your talents.
It's a learning forum also, but in a intermediate level kind of way. Once again I hope you understand where I am coming from. Good luck with your hobby.

Bob Smith
02-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Thank you for your advice fellows-your comments are much appreciated. I have in fact been trying out some NR software, although I would rather work on achieving those results at the camera level, although I know I have a long way to go. I shall, in the future, take your advice while continuing to monitor "Avian" as a source of inspiration. With respect I must say that I disagree with any lack of enthusiasm for images taken from behind the bird, as long as the head and face are also revealed----for many birds, such as ducks for instance, that is where the most colourful and varied plumage is.