PDA

View Full Version : The forest on a forest

Paul Marcellini
05-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Been exploring the cypress domes a bit lately as they are bone dry and access is much easier. It is chaos in these. Its fun to see everything but challenging to bring away something.

Here's a recent attempt at ordering the mess.

20d, 10-22@11mm f7.1, iso400 1/60 handheld cause no room for a tripod
http://i29.tinypic.com/2r5yxpu.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Hi Paul,
While this is kind of intereting...........definitely looking for a center of interest. while the bromiliads are very cool...........not sure you pulled it off in this one.

Robert Amoruso
05-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Paul,

If I was standing here I would have the same problem. Agree with Roman, it just doesn't have a center of interest.

Just an idea for next time courtesy of Andy Rouse who I had the pleasure with doing some landscape photographing at Bosque last year. Ultra-wide angle, even fish-eye - smallest aperture for max DOF, place camera in hand and place on ground near the thing you want to photograph, take pic, look at LCD and adjust composition to suit. Basically your getting a bug's eye view from the ground. In this case I would have held the camera with a fish-eye right down at your feet - perhaps a bit forward of that.

Paul Marcellini
05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys. I actually was trying not to give anything too much of the spotlight. That would not be true to the area. I hoped the path would be enough rest for the eyes and bring you but i wanted to make you look. I did try to pick a comp with some anchors, the three bromeliads closest to camera. Here is a rework, cropped and dodged, burned to help the eyes a bit more.

Paul
The dodging looks a bit sloppy in the shrank version for some reason. I took my time on the original and it looks good. So just imagine this image but well developed. =)
http://i30.tinypic.com/2af0iue.jpg

Grady Weed
06-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Your re-post is a good one Paul. Crisp colors, very vibrant. You really have to go to the everglades to appreciate them. they are a national treasure worth every effort to preserve them. Please keep posting your outstanding images.

Blake Shadle
06-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I've got a few GPS coords to share with you, Paul. I've found some very elegant domes in the years that I've been traveling down there. Very nice images.