PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon Close-up

Grace Scalzo
02-11-2015, 09:16 PM
From a recent outing. Common loons are frequently seen in our Long Island waters in the winter. A bit of luck is involved in photographing them because they dive and stay underwater for quite a whilte. Where they pop up is a bit of a surprise. This beauty was very close, so opted for a portrait. His eye was unslightly because there was a catch light right over the pupil and another below, so some photoshop work was required.

Thank you for your comments and for looking.

1/2500, f8, iso800
Canon 1dx, 600f4 + 2.0tc + lowered rrs tripod

Allen Sparks
02-11-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi Grace,

This is very well done. Love the low angle, details (exposure is spot on), and the gentle waves in the water. Very nice image.

Allen

arash_hazeghi
02-12-2015, 12:33 AM
excellent close up with great details and accurate exposure. Well done

Karl Egressy
02-12-2015, 06:48 AM
Nice portrait with great details, Grace.
The double catch light is natural as it is the result of the reflection.

Daniel Cadieux
02-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Highly appealing portrait. I love the silky smooth water, and the overall image is very tastefully processed. Good call cleaning up the eye.

Stu Bowie
02-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Hi Grace, love your low angle of capture, together with the light you had. You nailed the exposure and sharpness, and what a lovely eye. I do like the water too.

Bob Smith
02-12-2015, 09:16 PM
Grace you seem to have a magic touch with the watery environs---even the water droplets look great here---I'll bet you even got your chin wet getting down so low to get this shot.

Kirk Benson
02-16-2015, 12:05 AM
All has been said already, but I'm happy to say them again.
Beautiful portrait, perfect exposure, color that is rich and true, and super clean detail Grace. Composition is excellent, and I love the silky smooth water.
Top notch work, and a real pleasure to view.