PDA

View Full Version : Birding/Wildlife Near Newport Beach, CA in May

Mike Lee
02-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Hi folks, I'll be spending a week in a timeshare between Newport Beach and Dana Point in May, and am wondering if I should pick up the 100-400 II before then. I'm mostly wondering if there are good birding or wildlife opportunities nearby that I should try to shoot, whether on the beach or elsewhere nearby (we'll have a car). If not, maybe I'll just wait and hope that street prices will drop further. Currently my longest lens is 200mm (320 on my crop sensor).

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Dan Brown
02-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Hi Mike. I was hoping to see someone more local to that area chime in here but I do visit that area often. The best spot that I know for birding and photography close to Newport Beach is Bolsa Chica Preserve (about 20 miles north on highway 1). There are two entry points, one is at the visitors center at the corner of Warner Blvd and highway 1 and the other is about a mile south of Warner. The boardwalk at the second spot is great for several species of terns, skimmers, rails, etc.

Another good spot near Bolsa Chica is Huntington Beach Central Park. You can see the Manikins (Scaly-breasted Munia), Orange Bishop and Pin-tailed Whydah there. From highway 1 in Sunset Beach, take Warner blvd south east to Goldenwest blvd and turn right. Go about a mile to The Park Bench Cafe and park there (17732 Goldenwest St, Huntington Beach, CA 92647). The birds can all be seen in the grasses around and in the pond behind the cafe, near the public restrooms. The pond was completely dry in September, so you could just walk out and around in the pond bed. The cafe is a good place for breakfast and/or lunch also! Good luck.

Mike Lee
02-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the tips! We'll be sure to check those out to see if they're something we can fit in.