PDA

View Full Version : Duchesnay Creek

Andrew McLachlan
02-09-2015, 07:12 PM
Here is another composition from my visit to Duchesnay Creek in North Bay, Ontario a few weeks ago during a bitter cold snap. At first I was a little disappointed in the tea-colored ice formations, but then thought that they helped to add a touch of color to this winter scene. The water color in this river was running 'dirty' with the tea coloration, hence the tea-colored ice formations.

Nikon D800
Nikon 18-35mm lens @ 20mm
ISO 100
f16 @ 0.4 sec.
Nikon Polarizing Filter

Look forward to comments.

Don Railton
02-09-2015, 11:17 PM
Hi Andrew, I think to saved the best to last, well until now anyway... this is beautiful..! This has perfect shutter for me, very nice water colour and ice formations... The eye feasts... If I were to suggest anything I think a crop from the top as this is the least interesting part of the image for me, but it does add context...

regards

DON

Morkel Erasmus
02-10-2015, 02:20 AM
This works well Andrew - the water almost looks like magma/lava given the texture and shapes :5
I think you did well in this scene where including more of the treeline could cause the eye to become jarred and the scene cluttered.

Diane Miller
02-10-2015, 04:10 PM
I love the subtle colors and the mix of frozen and moving water! I always like sharpness but wonder how it would look with the trees a little softer.

There is an area of gray in the snow below the base of the trees on the the right that my eye wants to read as a "horizon" but it slopes down. I wonder if correcting the perspective distortion from pointing the lens down would level it, and fix the leaning trees? But that would crop a lot off the edges.

Ian McHenry
02-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Hi Andrew
Possibly unusually I am not a big fan of slow shutter speed water movement; but this foreground looks perfect to me.
One thing that could be worth a try is a slight darkening of the background which I feel is an integral part of the scene.
Cheers: Ian Mc

dankearl
02-12-2015, 12:56 AM
Excellent, Andrew.
The SS is just right...
One of your best for me.

Andrew McLachlan
02-19-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks folks much appreciated!